[Peace-discuss] Suppose

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 16:48:42 CST 2004

Ricky Baldwin <baldwinricky at yahoo.com> wrote:
You wouldn't want to
squash free speech there, too, would you?

Ricky

There are oodles of places I want to squash free speech. However, I am opposed to the government doing it, not always, but in most cases. (The government clearly squashes free speech in the courts, I find that quite acceptable.) Frankly, most peoples’ “free speech” is not really to my taste and I prefer not to hear it. It has driven me from restaurants, bars and theaters. It has destroyed my solitude in parks and nature preserves. And I thank my lucky stars for private property where I can get rid of Moonies and others who will save me or fleece me, depending upon your outlook. Does this mean that I support the war, racism, homophobia, or the corruptness of our government in general? Hell no. Does this mean that I don’t think we have a right to protest on public property, or most of it? Hell no.

Now if you want to say that receiving money that was collected in taxes and then distributed to the property owner in some form makes that property public property, be careful. There are a lot of people on this list whose income comes from nowhere else but money that was collected in taxes who don’t want their homes to be considered public property and have to grant the free speech rights that would entail. I mean, it would be bad enough having to give your kids free speech, much less having to host the Arian Nation or the latest Save The Chief rally in your foyer.

Face it, if it is not out in the public, free speech is a real pain in the ass. As it also is even when it is out in the public and the opinion is contrary to yours. And when used without discretion, it is a great way to get people who might have considered your position to hate your cause.

Its all a matter of taste. Yours is probably different. That’s why I said “suppose.” Whatever makes you feel good.

Now tell me again, just how did Iraq threaten my freedom? Oh,I get it,the same way Granada,Panama,Haiti,Nicaragua,The Sudan,Afghanistan,Lybia,and our other targets did! Right.Right......."The first casualty of war is the truth." Sir Winston Churchill....."Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."--Mark Twain......My Web Site ..... ClickMeToo