[Peace-discuss] Re:[Peace] Tis the season for Materialism

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Sun Dec 5 07:24:00 CST 2004

Hi Sandra,

You can use my ideas, but please do NOT mention my name on radio or any other media!!  Thanks,

One year, when the kids were 5 to 15 yrs old I made this request: that they spend only $1. for ea gift given to ea other or to us (We parents were allowed to spend a little more for the kids)  So that meant homemade, hand-me downs or ups, garage sale or thrift shop items..... It was great -- fun, variety, challenging -- even the liked it.

My "rule" for the last 15 years is that my kids would send $$ they would otherwise spend on me to their favorite local charity.  I send $$/gift certificates/presents to my kids/g'kids, but one daughter has now begun to forward hers on to a group she supports where she lives.

I personally like supporting local groups -- lots of good ones in C-U, less goes to overhead/adm salaries/advertising/more transparent and less graft, maybe -- and sadly, lots of "third world" American folks/families/areas right here in town --and all over the US, for that matter....

Jenifer C.
Friends,

I am going to do a short radio bit for IMC Radio News on alternatives to  materialism.
(airs Monday 5:30pm on WEFT 90.1fm)
Do you have ideas about how to avoid buying more stuff this Christmas?

If so let me know.

Even one little story about giving a massage instead of material... or  recycling a gift... or where to buy used... or anything else.

What do you think of that idea about giving a sheep or some animal to a  woman in a need in another country?

Your suggestions welcome by email.... but preferrably by phone (for recorded  interview) (244-8820) or come to the IMC between 10:30  and 1pm on Sunday.

Sandra Ahten

Peace at lists.chambana.net