No subject

Sun Feb 8 03:56:54 CST 2004

=20

The march was originally called by IAC/ANSWER and has really taken off=20
because of the imminent threat of war. As in NYC with the Not In Our Name=20
rally, many groups are pulling together behind it and trying to make it=20
reflective of the diverse sections and politics of the peace movement.

Large numbers of people throughout the east coast and mid-west are planning=20
to come and many local and national groups are getting involved. In New=20
Jersey, the buses rented by Peace Action and other groups are already filled=
=20
and more buses are being sought. 100 buses are filled already in New York. I=
=20
think this demonstration is going to be big.

=20

The other day I received a call from Brian of IAC. He told me the march=20
assembly point is at Constitution Gardens near the Vietnam Veterans Memorial=
.=20
They want to erect a Iraqi Childrens Memorial nearby and asked about getting=
=20
veterans involvement in this as well as marching as a contingent by the fron=
t=20
of the march. He said they were already=20
working with a group of African American Muslim Veterans in DC.=20

At an organizing meeting in NYC the next night it was reported that major=20
speakers include Ramsey Clark, Bishop Thomas Gumbleton, Jesse Jackson and=20
Rev. Sharpton. Rep. Kucinich and other members of Congress will speak also.=20
They are trying to get Ron Kovic to speak as a veteran. Patti Smith spoke at=
=20
the meeting and will probably perform in DC.