No subject

Sun Feb 8 03:56:54 CST 2004

inevitable. How can we use this, for building a muscle of discontent
in this country? How can we take advantage, so to speak, of what will seem
as our failure to stop this war, to use it towards something we want? Saul
Alinsky called this 'capitalizing on failure'---to turn what could seem a
failure, into something that further rallies people to sustained
discontent.

Last philosophic note----I maintain we are trying to create a foment of
discontent, not content. We are doing the delicate, almost artistic dance
of taking our horror at the current political directions, and rather than
have that discourage us(which would normally happen), make this 'horror'
be empowering. When SDS came to campuses in the 60's(I was there) they'd
show up in a car from some other campus in a different state, and put up a
film projector in the lounge of some dorm, and there show 33mm films of
what was going on in Vietnam. The films horrified people, shocked people,
made people really mad. What SDS did, was generate discontent, push at it,
sort of 'push people's noses in it'. They didn't offer solutions, other
than to organize.

OK, you get my point: we're engineering discontent, making sure it doesn't
decay into discouragement.

So, my question for the question 'what next?'---how can we make more
discontent, of the kind we can use for building a movement?

Susan, who misses AWARE