[Peace-discuss] AWARE event Sunday, 2/8

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Mon Feb 2 08:02:51 CST 2004

As part of the seminar/discussion series Understanding the Times we are In,

AWARE presents

Global Institutions: What are they good for?

with Michael Goldman, professor of sociology, UIUC

The World Bank and the International Monetary Fund - the Bretton Woods Institutions - are among the most influential global institutions. Whom do they serve and toward what ends?  The World Bank is the leader in promoting "development" in the global South, yet after sixty years of World Bank-style development, countries are paying back to the Bank more capital than it lends.  How should we understand development, global expertise, and the role of global institutions such as the World Bank, IMF, and WTO, if poverty and global inequality have increased under their authority? How they work and how social movements around the world are challenging them are the main topics of this presentation.

Professor Goldman's publications include Privatizing Nature: Political Struggles for the Global Commons (Rutgers/Pluto, 1998) and Imperial Nature: The World Bank and the Making of Green Neoliberalism (Yale, forthcoming). He teaches courses in Global Inequality and Social Change, Transnational Politics, Environmental Sociology, and Urban Sociology

Sunday, February 8

3 to 5 pm

at the IMC, 218 W. Main St., Urbana

Everybody welcome! Refreshments will be served.

AWARE

Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort

www.anti-war.net