[Peace-discuss] The right to travel

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 2 08:52:59 CST 2004

Airline Program has ‘Slave’ Overtones
by Hazel Trice Edney
NNPA Washington Correspondent
Originally posted 1/28/2004
http://wilmingtonjournal.blackpressusa.com/news/Article/Article.asp?NewsID=3190&sID=3

WASHINGTON (NNPA) – The proposed computerized
federal airline security system that would
require passengers to present identification,
undergo a background check and be color-coded,
based on their perceived risk, harkens back to
slave laws that prevented Blacks from traveling,
says a Harvard University researcher who
specializes in privacy issues.

“What this is really reminiscent of is what
happened on plantations during slavery when Black
people or persons of color had to have passes in
order to travel,” says Richard Sobel, a privacy
policy researcher at the Harvard Medical School.
“Essentially, the 13th Amendment ended
involuntary servitude, but when you have to ask
the government’s permission to do certain things
such as to travel or to work, you are no longer
your own person.”

Despite strong opposition from civil libertarians
and civil rights activists, the Department of
Homeland Security’s Transportation Security
Administration is pushing ahead with the
so-called CAPPS 2 program with hopes it will be
in full operation within a month. It is a
heightened version of the Computer Assisted
Passenger PreScreening program (CAPPS 1),
instituted to heighten security following the
Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

The TSA argues that current security measures,
which centers on the scrutiny of packages and
people in search of potential weapons – is not
enough. CAPPS II would collect the names, home
addresses and phone numbers, dates of birth and
travel itineraries of travelers. The information
would then be fed into huge databases, such as
Lexis-Nexis and Acxiom, that are connected to
public records. It would draw on credit bureau
reports, Social Security numbers and other
personal data before assigning a threat level to
potential passengers.

A red rating would prohibit the traveler from
boarding a flight. A yellow rating would mean a
passenger will be scrutinized and questioned
further before allowed to board a plane. A green
rating allows a person a standard flight
experience.
While there have been increased advocacy – even
from liberals - to sacrifice some conveniences
since Sept. 11, CAPPS 2 is the level of scrutiny
that simply goes too far, according to some
activists.

“Requests for I.D.s happen to Blacks and
minorities much more often than Whites,” Sobel
says. “Travel is a civil right. The Black
migration that occurred in this country brought a
wave of migration from the South
Imagine what it
would be like now if people had to get
government’s permission to go to Chicago.”

As early as 1690, laws were established to
criminalize transported Africans who moved about
or even visited friends on other plantations
without passes. Slave patrols, mostly White males
with guns, were set up to enforce the laws.

“The real danger to civil liberties is that the
government assumes that it has the right to tell
people whether they can travel or not. And that’s
not a stretch. That’s exactly what the system is
about,” Sobel says. “It’s also saying it’s okay
for the government to go into your private
records, even if you haven’t done anything wrong,
to potentially restrict what you’re able to do.”
Sobel says he hopes activists will oppose CAPPS 2. And many are.

Bill Scannell, the activist who led the
successful boycott against Delta Airlines last
spring, after the airline worked with the TSA to
implement CAPPS II on an experimental basis, has
established a new site, www.dontspyonus.com.

“To think that my own country that I served in
the Army and all of that stuff, wants to put up
internal border controls that I’m supposed to get
permission granted to me to determine whether I
can travel from one part of my country to another
part of my country. It’s appalling,” Scannell
says.

The TSA projects that at least 5 percent of
flyers might be coded yellow or red under CAPPS
II. Under current security measures 15 percent of
customers are flagged for further checks.

Even some conservative groups are raising questions about CAPPS 2.
“There are procedural and operational questions
that need to be worked out,” says Charles Peña, a
defense policy analyst for the CATO Institute, a
Libertarian, non-profit research foundation in
Washington, D.C.
“I’m all for catching criminals, but is this a
counter-terrorism measure or is this a
crime-fighting measure? The more you blur the
two, the more you’re on a slippery slope,” says
Peña. “And racial profiling is a concern that we
cannot dismiss.”

Profiling of Muslims after Sept. 11 will also add
to the profiling of Blacks, says LaShawn Warren,
legislative counsel for the American Civil
Liberties Union.

“The Muslim faith is the fastest growing religion
among African-Americans,” Warren says. “And so,
our concern is that this is going to unfairly
impact African-Americans and it’s going to target
them.”

The expansion of CAPPS 2 can be stopped in
several ways, all requiring a coalition of people
taking stands, say activists:

· Citizens contacting members of Congress and
even local and state legislators could put
pressure on the TSA to reconsider the plan;
· Congress could decide to make a law to defund
the program and simply say no money can be spent
on it;
· Airlines could rebel, saying they fear losing
customers to other forms of transportation and.
· Boycott and divest in companies and reservation
systems that are used in conjunction CAPPS 2.

“I’m not saying there’s not a problem. I’m saying
that this is not a solution,” says Sobel.
“There’s really no way to implement this. This
system needs to be stopped.”

###
--

Al Kagan