[Peace-discuss] Aware's actions on Feb 15?

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Tue Feb 3 08:04:45 CST 2004

Has AWARE planned any actions? If so can someone notify Sunny at Traprock?

Traprock Peace Center
103A Keets Road
Deerfield, MA 01342
January 28, 2004

Hello Friends, I hope this note finds you well and warm.

A few  thoughts about the Feb. 15 Worldwide Vigils for Peace ...A circle at
sunset on Sunday -

A downloadable pdf flyer is available that you can adapt to your own
organization. http://www.traprockpeace.org/feb_15_flyer.pdf
It is generic with no organizational identification - so please add you own!
More information is available at http://www.endthewar.org/feb15.htm

There has been a strong response to this local yet global stand for peace,
on the anniversary of the worldwide demonstrations for peace last  year.

Locally, neighbors are taking initiatives in Amherst, Athol, Cape Cod,
Colrain, Concord, Conway, Great Falls/Gill, Greenfield, Heath, Montague,
Leverett,  Northampton, Shelburne Falls, So. Deerfield, Shutesbury,
Westfield, Ware, MA Brattleboro and Vernon, VT.

                (In a circle I can grieve and hope.)

I can't imagine leaving the kids out of this loop, this historic moment, can
you? Cale Weisman and I are inviting local schools to get involved in making
invitations to schools and youth in other countries.

I had fun recently making invitations from a new spot, when I visited the
Ingleside Mall in Holyoke to use the post office that's open late there.
Young people seemed especially interested.

New interest was expressed by neighbors in Athol, Chicopee, Huntington,
Springfield and Ware!   E-mails, phone calls, or hand carried flyers are
going to Hong Kong, Puerto Rico, India, Arizona, New York!  (We have quite
the international community in our malls. Though folks haven't often spoken
to one another there--maybe we could help change that. In two full hours I
wasn't asked to leave the mall. That late work was exhilarating.)

You can see the growing international list of participants at
http://www.endthewar.org

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Austin, Texas, USA
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Bloomington, Indiana, USA
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bradenton, Florida, USA
Brossard, Quebec, Canada
Burlington, Vermont, USA
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Dallas, Texas, USA
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Deerfield, Mass, USA
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Flint, Michigan, USA
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Houston, Texas, USA
London, England
Maputo, Mozambique
Newton, Iowa, USA
Northport, New York, USA
Oakland, California, USA
Palo Alto, California, USA
Pe Ell, Washington
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Putney, Vermont, USA
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Shijiazhuang, Hebei, China
Susanville, California, USA
Takoma Park, Maryland, USA
Tallahasshee, Florida, USA
Washington, DC, USA
Watertown, New York, USA
Whistler, BC, Canada
Willimantic CT, USA
Windisch, Switzerland

    See http://endthewar.org

        -------------------  Strategy  Ideas -----------------------

 I ask if you will invite 2 people, to invite 2 people ... everyday
 The numbers who can be invited are incredible, if we believe in people.

                What can help you in this work?  SIMPLICITY.

1. Most people heard about worldwide demonstrations on Feb. 15 last year.
2. There's little dogma attached to argue about.
3. There's no particular organization attached, that could cause people
hesitation.
4. If the town common isn't the obvious place to take part in a Worldwide
    Vigil, people are free to bring their candle out to any part of town
    they identify with, announcing that's where THEY will be.
5. All you need is a minimum of one candle to share.
    A bucket with rocks in the bottom could be at the center of your vigil.
6. A circle of people is great whether it's a small circle and you're close,
    or a large circle and you're magnificent.
7. No resentment builds doesn't get their share of time at a microphone.
8. You all look beautiful by candlelight.
9. Elders who don't like to drive in the dark can come and go on the early
    side of sunset.
10. There's no designated spokesperson, just good old citizen initiative,
    --equal opportunity, not hierarchy.
11. Few will tend to argue with a candle.

Any concerns to prepare for?

1. Fire safety.
2. Umbrellas for rain, sleet or snow.
3. Blanket for extra warmth if it's cold.
4. Standing on a folded newspaper can add insulation for your feet.
5. Curses from drivers-by?  Quiet conversation won't work in the road
    but something about persistent loving kindness does seem to work.
    We practice being peaceful.
6. Permits needed to gather?
7. Very simple clean-up.

    Hugs,