[Peace-discuss] MKB report of Racism-Watch

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Thu Feb 12 11:57:10 CST 2004

What follows is a more detailed report of what I observed in attending
the Race Watch workshop of the IPPN in Atlanta.

Apologies to those who don’t want all this information.

• I did not take enough notes to stitch together a coherent summary of
what the results of the meeting were. Ted Glick, the national
coordinator of IPPN, is expected to provide this, and I will report on
it when it appears. Below, however, are some random observations.

•The Racism Watch idea is to network organizations around the country
so as to monitor racist elements in the campaign, and to mobilize
actions in response. Such actions may take the form of  demonstrations
against offending parties, publicizing names of contributors of
candidates with racist agendas, submitting articles/information/letters
to the press and TV (even appearing on TV, or getting well known people
on TV expressing our point of view).

•There will be a centralized office to coordinate things, the IPPN, and
its website [see above].

•There is also the important electoral element: To get diverse
progressive communities to come together to express their priorities
and put candidates into office. Solidarity! This is to be promoted by
having People of Color and gender up front in leadership positions
managing these efforts [60% people of color, ≥50% women, and youth,
gay-lesbian, labor, faith, and other constituencies] . What I was
struck with was the expression of distrust by blacks to whites—said to
be the reason why blacks do not appear in appropriate numbers at many
progressive events such as anti-war marches , to our meetings, etc.

•Another goal is to bring forward issues not likely to be discussed in
the campaign, such as the prison-industrial-criminal justice system,
how the military takes advantage of the underprivileged, etc..

• Actions are in process: Contacting well known personalities to convey
our messages to the mass media, soliciting funds, organizing a national
coordinating committee, etc. .

• There are long reading lists put out by workshop.  Contact me if
interested.

• Do we want to tie in to this Racism Watch network?

 >> FYI: Selected notes, taken at the IPPN "Racism Watch" workshop in
Atlanta, 1/31/2004.

The IPPN Racism Watch web site is:

http://www.ippn.org/article.php?ID=currentD.html

Four Afro-Americans present, one Latino, out of 22 participants.
Male:female about 50:50.

Meeting led in the morning by Sandra Rivers, a black woman of sweet
expression.

  Short introduction of what the meeting hoped to accomplish by IPPN
coordinator Ted Glick. He announced that Cynthia McKinney would not be
addressing us, due to a conflicting engagement. Noted that several
people/groups showed great interest in the program, but would not be
attending: UFPJ, Z-Magazine, American Friends Service Cte., SCLC,
Julian Bond, etc. Some of his remarks:

	• Racism has been used as a tool over the last 30 years in electoral
campaigns.

	• Note: FDR banned black reporters in press conferences for his first
11 years in office.

	• “Polarization” —the race card— began to be used in the 60’s, with
Nixon’s ’68 campaign vs. Humphrey. George Wallace and Spirew Agnew were
other players in this. Played a role in Nixon vs. McGovern in ’72.
Jimmy Carter used the phrase “ ethnic purity” in his campaign
speech(es). Clinton used the race card in the Sister Soljah incident.

Topical books from which Ted quoted: Which Nationalism by Walters, The
Great Wells of Democracy by Manning Marable, Nixon’s Piano by O’Reilly.

Following Ted's presentation, the session was opened for remarks. An
attempt was made to balance these among men/women, black/white. What
follows are sundry points made:

•Sandra Rivers-black rep. who facilitated the discussion: “Reparations
are on the top of our list of priorities.”

•Lani Guineer has emphasized that racism was built into American
society right at the Constitution.

• People around the table spoke from personal experience--how it was
virtually impossible for (poor) blacks to get fair treatment by police,
in the courtroom, etc.

• Statement of concern about the electoral electronic voting system.
Suggestion: Lawyers should maintain watch, be on hand, during
balloting. In Georgia, there is cross-over primary voting, which has
distorted the results. Also, there has been collusion between Dems and
Repubs in organizing district lines. It would be useful to have
international observers to oversee the vote? But how to set that up?

• “We must educate ourselves”, i.e., whites must look inward and
outward to understand the nature of the problem. This was a
[overstressed?] repeated theme.

• Why blacks don’t show up at various progressive meetings: White
control puts them off. They need to see that they are prominent in
those meetings which take place, as speakers, organizers, etc. There is
a need for “leadership of color” to encourage large black
participation.
[In AWARE we’ve sometimes been told to coordinate, ‘tis not necessary
to mix. ]

• Jesse Jackson: Scorned amongst the black folks here. Said to have
destroyed, in 1988,  the Rainbow Coalition. Bought off by the Dem
leadership. People at the table claimed to have had first hand
knowledge of this. As a result, Jesse is considered a betrayer by many.

• Recommended film-“Life and Debt” - by Stephanie Black.

• Lawyer David Gesspass: "The war on terror is all about racism". [How
about imperialism, corporatism,…?]

• The need to bring communities together so that both white and black
folks can achieve their mutual aims. Reminder from Howard Dean? An
argument for the poor white. The question, of course, is HOW?

After lunch, Latino activist Danielle Capillo gave an impassioned plea
for activists to look inward and change their attitudes. But he also
said questionable things such as “Race is the root of everything.”

Now, Chea Prince, a black woman, took over. Forceful, organized, no
nonsense, outspoken, smart. A driving and effective activist.

The first question broached: How to get the messages of Racism Watch
out to the main media?
Suggestions:
	• Partner with active organizations such as Move-On.com
	• Use local cable TV. Supply them with subject material.

There was repeated emphasis to reform and educating one's self.
Introspection.  One must understand the antagonism of [most, many?]
blacks to whites, the distrust. It was said that whites must try to
understand that “if you are white you are racist”. Contextualize from
the black experience in U.S. history.

After a pause of 20’, a brainstorming session took place:
	• News-savvy  people like McChesney and Nichols who could help in
identifying main stream journalists, personalities, etc.,  who would be
willing to broadcast our messages will be contacted. These messages
will be needed when/if racism raises its head during the electoral
campaigns.  Issues of race ignored by candidates should be pointed out.

Insofar as is possible, the electoral candidates should be asked about
the prison-industrial complex, the Patriot Act, public schools and
racism, etc..

How to improve (black) voting:
	• Absentee ballots can be very effective in the voting! Even when
folks are not absent from their district, as for example when having to
work on long shifts. However, one needs to be informed of the rules in
the various states, which vary.
	• Encourage the military to use absentee ballots instead of the voting
machines.

Recommended materials:
¬	Tony Morrison’s Playing in the ‘Dark.
¬	PBS program Reconstruction
¬	PBS’s  Race: Bridging the Divide
¬	PBS’s Origins of the Urban Crisis.

Try to get funds to support the project from participating
organizations.

Ted Glick will email us, eventually, a summary of the meeting.