[Peace-discuss] Fwd: From the Danville paper, by Vern Bergkoetter

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 08:42:49 CST 2004

Chuck Minne <mincam2 at yahoo.com> wrote:Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 06:37:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Chuck Minne
Subject: From the Danville paper, by Vern Bergkoetter
To: Chuck

A response to Kathleen Parker: "Saddam's capture helps Bush campaign", 12-18-03, Commercial News

Ms. Parker, I fear the power of syndicated columnists who have the talent to persuade the reader to abandon the most relevant facts and most basic logic/reasoning.  I believe you did just that in your recent article.  Of course, I am not a syndicated columnist, so you and millions of others won't see this in print in your local newspaper.  Allow me to rewrite at least a portion of your article.

"The Bush campaign benefits from yet another hallow victory and political diversion"

Yes, George W. Bush, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.  The polls show that the capture of Saddam has significantly boosted your approval ratings.  This is in spite of the skyrocketing National Debt, unprecedented decline in respect for America around the world, millions more out of work, the disastrous attempt to occupy Iraq, the lack of honesty on your part, the devastation of Afghanistan etc.  Yes, George, you have been given a great gift.  Once again the American people are easily deceived into the feel-good politics of we are good, and they are evil.  Like magic, the majority of Americans get amnesia regarding US history and current facts, and believe it was in the best interest of America, Iraq, and the world at large for the US to start this war.

In Ms. Parker's words, "allow me to recap".  George:  You insisted that there was no doubt that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.  There are none.  You insisted that Saddam was a terrorist, and continually indicated a connection with 9/11.  No evidence there.  You stated that Saddam was an immediate threat to America.  Not true.  You insisted that the Iraqi people would embrace us and embrace democracy.  I don't think so.  You insisted that Iraq would be a better place after the overthrow of Saddam.  It is not.

I am one of those people who did some research and found out why you knew, or should have known that none of these things were true.  I read material written by actual weapons inspectors (in 2002) explaining how and why they knew that no WMDs or viable programs existed in Iraq.  In point of fact, prior to 9/11, Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice both publicly bragged about how containment policies had made Saddam no threat at all to us or his neighbors.  It is common knowledge that the majority of Iraqi citizens are Shiite Muslims who want a Fundamentalist Islamic government similar to Iran.  There is no doubt that US foreign policies have resulted in a thorough and systematic destruction of a country that, prior to 1990, accurately boasted of a quality of life and standard of living surpassing European standards.  Their worst problems came from waging the war that we aided and abetted against Iran.  Since the US went from being a major supporter of Saddam's Regime to waging two wars
 and leading the way on imposing devastating sanctions on that country, everything has gone downhill.  Now is the worst time ever.  It is the US, not Saddam killing Iraqi insurgents.  It is important to note that Saddam and Osama are mortal enemies, and Saddam has never had any known links to anyone involved in terrorist attacks on the US.  Terrorism wasn't even his style.  Over the past 13 years the US has pinned the Iraqi people between a cruel, selfish, and ruthless dictator and an Empire driven by unbridled capitalism (protected by the Nation's Military).  The result has been an estimated 1 1/2 million Iraqi deaths (including 500,000 children), and unfathomable suffering.  The US has been instrumental in freeing Iraq from clean water, electricity, international commerce, modern hospitals, modern schools, reasonable employment rates, low crime rates, and National Sovereignty. Not in 10 lifetimes would Saddam have done that much damage without the actions of the US Government.

But, fear not George.  Due largely to propagandists like Kathleen Parker, you will spend this Christmas season enjoying the approval of a majority of American people who do not want to face the ugly truth about decades of US foreign policy.  I agree, Kathleen, that "good ultimately triumphs over evil".  However, if I read the Bible correctly that will be true when God judges all nations and people.  The thing to do now is repent.  I welcome comments at vlbergkoetter at juno.com

Vern Bergkoetter
Rural Williamsport, IN