[Peace-discuss] One truth overrules all others…

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Tue Jul 13 17:02:56 CDT 2004

A segment from article by Ira Chermus at:

...There is one supposed "truth" that overrules all others: the United
States is under deadly threat, and all true-blue Americans must band
together to defend the homeland against that threat. We must all rally
around the flag and around the leaders who are carrying that flag for
us.

  In times of national crisis, the prevailing wisdom insists, we can
afford no internal dissension. Since the '40s, we have been in a
permanent state of crisis, and there is no end in sight. So it scarcely
matters whether the president, the CIA, or anyone else tells us the
truth about Iraq or Al-Qaeda or WMD. Those are just secondary details.

  The only question that really matters is whether you are taking the
strongest possible stand against the enemy (whoever the current enemy
happens to be) and following the dictates of the ministry of truth.
That is certainly a question most voters ask when Congressional
elections roll around. Any candidate who looks "soft on defense" faces
an uphill struggle at best.

  As long as our national life is founded on fear and the quest for
"national security," there will be no real security. There will be only
a quest for a more perfect security system, a quest that is doomed to
fail, leaving us striving endlessly for security. As long our official
history reinforces that quixotic quest, too many of us will depend on
the government's ministry of truth, rather than checking out the facts
for ourselves.

  The problem is not getting the facts. We have policy critics and
alternative media effective enough to insure that accurate facts will
always be readily available. The problem is breaking through the reign
of fear.

  Ira Chernus is Professor of Religious Studies at the University of
Colorado at Boulder. chernus at colorado.edu