[Peace-discuss] AWARE Meeting with City of Champaign

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 25 13:46:09 CDT 2004

Here is the full story.

AWARE Meeting with City of Champaign
July 20, 2004
Notes by Al Kagan and Randall Cotton

Attending: Joseph Hooker (Assistant City Attorney), Lt. Joe Gallo
(West District Commander, Champaign Police Dept.), John Murphy
(Deputy Chief, Champaign Police Dept.), Bob Finch (AWARE's attorney),
Randall Cotton, Susan Davis, Al Kagan.

I think our main goal for this meeting was to impress upon the City
that we are serious in demanding our full rights, and I think we made
that point well. Bob Finch took the lead for AWARE and the rest of us
chimed in as we thought necessary.  I thought Bob showed the right
mix of cooperative spirit and firmness with the city officials.  In
fact, I think he was quite masterful.

There were several action items that came up for both sides. The City
agreed to do the following:

1. Threatening actions.  If we have any further threatening
incidents, the City knows that we want appropriate action, and they
agreed to communicate results and follow-up with us.  For a vehicular
assault, there are 4 possible outcomes: issue an IL vehicle code
ticket, arrest or give notice to appear for a state charge, same for
a city code violation, and forward a report to the city or state
attorney for action.  For anything to happen, we must be able to
identify the driver.  Vehicles are not prosecuted, only drivers (as
opposed to parking tickets).

2. Eavesdropping statute. In case of another threatening incident, we
have the right to videotape, including sound-recording.  This is not
a violation of the eavesdropping statute. However, they claim that
there is a line between recording the incident and the official
investigation, which we are not allowed to record.  They will
research this point and inform us in writing of their conclusions.
Bob Finch will then advise us, and perhaps make a response.  They
will send a written reminder to all the police officers with a copy
to Bob Finch.

3. City property boundaries.  They have agreed to send city engineers
to survey the line between public and private property at all 4
corners on Prospect Avenue.  They will then give this information to
us, Tires Plus, and presumably the businesses on the other corners.
We should follow-up to make sure this happens.

4. Towing. The towing ordinance is in Chapter 33, which is on the
City website (www.ci.champaign.us). Susan is researching it. There
are certain conditions for towing, even from private property. It is
possible for towing companies to charge a "show-up fee" even if they
don't tow a car, but they can only charge this if they have already
hooked-up the car to the tow truck, and possibly ready to drive away.
One can appeal such towing.  Joe Hooker is available by e-mail for
answering questions on towing. He urged us to arrange parking in
advance in vacant stores parking lots, or arrange for shuttle service
to the demo site.

5. Leafletting agreement. They will refresh the memory of all their
officers about the terms in our leafletting agreement. This is
important because the shifts have changed in the last few months.
They will also make it clear to them that police officers should be
able to have a dialog with us; that is, not just tell us to shut up
when we advise them about the agreement or want to discuss an
incident.

We agreed to do the following:

Information contacts. Assign a contact person for each demonstration.
That person will notify the Police front desk at noon on the day of
the demo, giving their name and cell phone number. Our contact person
should also get the name of their police supervisor for the Prospect
area that day and his badge number.  (They mentioned Ricky, and we
left it open that he might be the contact person.) The front desk
telephone number is 351-4545.

Other contacts:

Joe Hooker, tel. 403-8765; fax 403-8755; joseph.hooker at ci.champaign.il.us
Lt. Joe Gallo, tel. 403-7030; fax 403-6904; gallojf at ci.champaign.il.us
Bob Finch, tel. 344-0088; fax 344-0099

  What AWARE should do for each demonstration

1. Assign a police contact with access to a cell phone.

2. Our police contact calls Police front desk (351-4545) at noon on
day of event to:
   - give notice of the demonstration
   - get name and badge number of police supervisor during the
demonstration and confirm	precisely how to directly contact
them.

3. Our police contact should notify them of any changes in the
frequency of our demonstrations.

4. Make sure we have a copy of the leafleting letter and incident
report form on site.

5. Make sure we have a copy of the parkway boundary documents on site.

6. Arrange to videotape the demonstration.

What to do if there are problems with police officers

1. Get the problem officer's name and badge number.

2. Immediately contact the police supervisor on duty by cell phone.

3. If problems remain unresolved, contact Lt. Gallo on the next business day.

--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328

tel. 217-333-6519