[Peace-discuss] War and oil

ndahlhei at uiuc.edu ndahlhei at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 28 01:54:47 CDT 2004

How serious is the Peak Oil issue?  What are the connections
to war in the Gulf and Central Asia? What is the meaning for
our economy and society? What are the connections to
protecting civil liberties and the rights to question
growing government power? What can be done to help the
environment and conserve precious natural resources? I would
love to hear what people think about these issues, and I
would love to know what you all know about all of these
issues and what you think about the value of discussing them
and teaching others about American government and capitalism.

These are the important systemic questions that I think we
must examine with our nation, economy, military, and society
itself in peril from the increasingly Orwellian government
and its accompanying repression of political and social
activism opposed to the War on Terror.  I

Some resources that I have resarched recently on this
subject that have been quite informative and avoid the
propaganda circulated by the likes of the oil-soaked
mainstream media and the oilmen sitting in the White House:

Resource Wars by Michael T. Klare
 -------Discusses the world energy situation and the
cold,hard facts about dwindling energy resources, in
particular the looming peak in world oil production.
Examines the impact of these energy issues and how future
supply problems threaten to bring about new wars in the 21st
century.

The Grand Chessboard by Zbigniew Brzezinski
--------The ex-National Security Advisor to Jimmy Carter and
current major player on the Council on Foreign Relations
discusses in 1997 the need for America to weaken Russia,
seize the natural resources and strategic
transportation/trade routes of Central Asia (like
Afghanistan), and establish undisputed global hegemony at
the expense of the rest of the world through war and
economic extortion.  It reads like a national security
strategy for the war in Vietnam.

Stan Goff; writer to Counterpunch, From the Wilderness,
Guerilla News, and Narco News

One of his articles for Narco News dating back to October
10, 2001 I have linked here regarding the War on Terror and
global conflict:

http://www.narconews.com/goff1.html

Dale Allen Pfeiffer; independent geologist and writer on
Peak Oil and society.  Some articles listed here:

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/042903_media_lies.h
tml

Check out www.peakoil.net.

Peak Oil Conferences during the last two years in Paris and
Berlin also brought a lot of these issues to the attention
European and foreign press.

The energy crunch is coming, and the War on Terror should be
rightly reframed as the U.S. war to take over the remaining
productive oil fields.  With our economy and lifestyle so
heavily dependent on oil to run our industry, securing oil
supplies and stamping out political opposition to the
military ventures needed to accomplish the seizure of these
oil supplies can only inevitably mean trouble ahead as the
U.S. government will protect the rich of this country and
economically oppress the middle and lower classes to ensure
that the rich survive the energy crunch.  As a community, we
who stand to suffer most from the economic downturns,
political repression, and wars that will likely result from
the oil/energy crunch must find ways to adjust and fight for
peace ane justice.  The stakes are high and the social,
cultural, economic, and political landscape must be examined
in its totality.  I would love to hear what people think
about the future and the meaning of energy in the politics
of war and what we as concerned citizens can do to protect
our own communities.