[Peace-discuss] Cheney on Peak Oil and supply problems

ndahlhei at uiuc.edu ndahlhei at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 28 01:59:12 CDT 2004

I have talked about Peak Oil and the War on Terror a great
deal lately.  I am guaging interest, because I know you
people here at AWARE are open to discussing these things
honestly and openly.  Here is another paper that cites a
Dick Cheney
speech given in London to the London Institute of Petroleum
in the fall of 1999.

http://www.peakoil.net//Publications/Cheney_PeakOil_FCD.pdf

Consider that in the last 60-70 years, nearly every major
recession can be strongly linked to oil supply and delivery
shocks.  Oil (and of course H20) is the most fundamental
resources in driving industrial society, including its
agriculture.  Destablized oil prices in the wake of a
terminal decline in world oil production beginning somewhere
in the neighborhood of 2010-2015 will likely then wreak
economic and environmental devastation.  Is it any wonder
that the government, especially under the direction of Bush
has passed so many laws that have obliterated civil
liberties? Is it any wonder that they have engaged in
massive war propoganda and have turned political opponents
of the murderous policies of this government into
terrorists?  With the elites and the super-rich banks and
multi-national corporations that benefit from industrial
capitalism aware of the coming energy crunch, the
militarization of society doesn't spell good news for peace
and justice here at home.  We must face these systemic
realities facing modern industrial society and the dangerous
times in which we live.  Our liberties are not safe, peace
seems like a pipe dream considering the group of leaders in
Washington, and dark days appear to be ahead before the
light comes back more fully into view.  America could very
well be descending into fascism (after all we learned in
2000 just how rigged our elections are and how electronic
voting threatens more fraud this round in November).  Now is
the time to look at our society as its foundations rot in a
quagmire of materialism and militarism.  We must face this
world and help our loved ones and the whole human family, in
particular the vulnerable and poor members, to cope with the
realities we face.  The world is what we make of it.  We can
face the darkness and shine it with the light of truth,
justice, and peace.

I hope I haven't sounded too preachy, but I am hoping with
every e-mail I send on this subject that people feel
inspired to think more about these issues.  You people at
AWARE seem very committed to developing and implementing
principles of peace and justice, and you all seem to care
about the world. I hope and pray that all of your curiosity
about the world comes to bear and that you keep on fighting
the good fight.

                   All good your way,
                   Nick Dahlheim