[Peace-discuss] The case FOR John Kerry

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Fri Jul 30 11:38:04 CDT 2004

Thanks for Kerry's anti-war list, Don.   But, unfortunately, the Kerry of today seems a different person from the Kerry of yesterday.... He speaks and votes differently, totally ignores his own exemplary anti-war history instead of being proud of it.  Also,  I didn't hear the word "peace" in his acceptance speech last night...... The pundits on 2 channels said it was a speech that could have been given by a Republican, prob because it was so pro military (and saying he'll reduce yearly health insurance costs by as much as $1000 per year, big deal.....)

What do you think we can expect from the Kerry of tomorrow?  (Not that I think there's any choice re whom we vote for because we KNOW what we can expect from Bush...)

Jenifer C.
The anti-war case for Kerry:

1970's worked against the war in Vietnam.
1970's worked for UN involvement in Vietnam.
1980's worked against US involvement in Nicaragua.
1980's worked against US invasion of Grenada.
1980's Kerry headed committee investigation of Iran/ Contra. 1990's worked for disabled veterans, and MIA.
1990's worked to restore US relations with Vietnam.
1990's worked against the first war in Iraq.
2000's pressured US to go to UN for international diplomacy.

"I’ve stood up and fought against Richard Nixon’s war in Vietnam. I stood up and fought against Ronald Reagan’s illegal war in Central America." - John Kerry

"In our opinion, and from our experience, there is nothing in South Vietnam, nothing which could happen that realistically threatens the United States of America. And to attempt to justify the loss of one American life in Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos by linking such loss to the preservation of freedom, which those misfits supposedly abuse, is to us the height of criminal hypocrisy, and it is that kind of hypocrisy which we feel has torn this country apart." - John Kerry

"The soldier went to Vietnam to defend the country from aggressive communism in the tradition of World War II. But the soldier learned he was not fighting communism. Communism was not a threat to our country and the war was not moral." - John Kerry

In 1972, when John Kerry first campaigned for Congress, he made a commitment to vote against military appropriations. After he was elected, he went one step further, actively introducing legislation to reduce funding for defense and intelligence. In addition to his opposition to defense funding, John Kerry opposed the policies that led to victory in the Cold War. In 1984 he called for a freeze on testing, production and deployment of nuclear warheads, missiles, and other delivery systems. In 1985, he introduced a Comprehensive Nuclear Freeze Bill, and sponsored two amendments to freeze SDI-related nuclear development. Took on Reagan/ Bush administration contra policy.

"To attempt to justify the loss of one American life in Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos by linking such loss to the preservation of freedom
 is