[Peace-discuss] Need help with Democracy Now! on UPTV

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 2 15:02:21 CDT 2004

Well, I'm quickly losing faith and confidence that UPTV is going to move
ahead with getting Democracy Now! broadcasts going. It's been 2 months now
since I first contacted them and the first concrete step necessary to get
this going (FAXing a signed "affiliate agreement" to Free Speech TV) has yet
to occur. I've repeatedly been assured that this will definitely happen, but
as time goes on, the assurances have gotten more and more "qualified" and
more and more promises have been broken. I now feel they're stonewalling for
some reason. It could be they're just swamped and have given this very low
priority, but who knows, maybe it's something else.

I'm ratcheting up the pressure and have talked to Danielle Chynoweth, who
has expressed support for the project, but I would like to recruit AWARE
folks who would be willing to help out. Possibilities include:

1. Gathering petition signatures
2. Directly petitioning or attending meetings with UPTV personnel
3. calling UPTV personnel to voice support for this and ask why it's not
moving forward
4. formally complaining about the lack of progress to the Urbana City
Council
5. Demonstrating at UPTV or Urbana City Council (hope it doesn't come to
that =8-)

If you're interested in helping out down the line, please send me an e-mail
reply (just to me, not the whole list =8-) with your name and phone number.
With any luck, overt group activism won't be necessary, but at this point I
feel I have to prepare for the worst.

Thanks