[Peace-discuss] Re: Fwd: Wayne Smith: Cuba Shaping Up as Iraq II

Stephen Denney sdenney at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 2 12:12:50 CDT 2004

At 03:44 PM 5/30/2004 -0500, Al Kagen wrote:
>FYI, from the former Chief of the US Interests Section in Havana.
>
>>Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:02:12 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: Ann Sparanese <sparanese at yahoo.com>
>>Subject: [SRRTAC-L:13968] Wayne Smith: Cuba Shaping Up as Iraq II
>>To: SRRT Action Council <srrtac-l at ala.org>
>>Sender: owner-srrtac-l at ala.org
>>
>>Note the paragraphs on the dissidents. This is not the
>>first time that both Paya and Sanchez have spoken out
>>against foreign funding of dissidents. Wayne Smith is
>>a former Chief of the US Interests Section in Havana
>>and NOT a leftist of any stripe.
>>
>>Ann Sparanese
>>
>>***

It is also noteworthy that Wayne Smith does not share the view of Ann and
some others within the ALA that the dissidents in Cuba who were arrested
and imprisoned last April were punished for receiving U.S. funds. I wrote
to him after reading an article he wrote in which he said the prisoners
were obviously not U.S. agents. Here was his response:

"Dear Mr. Denney: I haven't really written anything on this. The thing is
that I know many of the dissidents and know that they have a firm position
against accepting any money from official U.S. sources because of the
damage that would do to their nationalist credentials -- to say nothing of
the problems it might cause them with the Cuban authorities.In any large
group of people, inevitably there will be some exceptions. There may be a
few, for example, who accepted money from State Security agents posing as
U.S. conduits, but to say the dissidents as a group were simply
'mercenaries'  is quite wrong.
         "The problem, however, is that the 1996 Helms-Burton Act calls for
increased U.S. support for internal dissidents, and since then there have
been a number of appropriations bills providing several million dollars to
help promote democracy inside Cuba. Now, as Elizardo Sanchez, the leading
human rights activist and one of those who would never take a nickel, put
it shortly after the first appropriations bill, 'the good news is that
virtually all that money will remain in the pockets of the groups in
Miami; the bad news is that even if it does, it gives the Cuban government
something to point to suggesting we are all paid agents of the U.S.'
         "What's the old saying about not needing enemies with friends like
these?"

I think within the ALA there has been a rush to judgment by some to accept
at face value charges made against the dissidents in rigged political show
trials in which they were deprived of the right of a proper legal defense.
We don't accept these kind of trials as valid in the U.S., why then in Cuba?

Amnesty International has protested this crackdown and considers the
detained dissidents to be prisoners of conscience. AI is also highly
critical of U.S. policy toward Cuba. I think it should be possible for us
here to adopt a similar approach, to AI or Wayne Smith.

  - Steve Denney