[Peace-discuss] I-Resist Tuesday events reminder....

bokhari at uiuc.edu bokhari at uiuc.edu
Sun Jun 13 15:04:06 CDT 2004

Anti-"Chief" Actions

Campus Town Protests:  Tuesday June 15, 2004 12:00 – 1:30 pm
       Green Street and Sixth, Champaign, Illinois

Evening Vigil:  Tuesday June 15, 2004 6:00 pm
              UIUC Quad

On Tuesday, June 15, 2004, from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm,
students, faculty, staff and community members will protest
the use of the "Chief Illiniwek" mascot on Green and 6th
Street in Campus Town.  The protestors will target businesses
that profit from the sale of the "Chief" emblem – focusing on
those establishments that prominently display this mascot or
other commodified forms of American Indian stereotypes.

This protest symbolizes an escalation in the fight against
the use of the "Chief" mascot.  We are asking all Champaign-
Urbana community members to boycott businesses that are
profiting from the perpetuation of negative stereotypes.  The
use of "Chief Illiniwek" as a school mascot continues to
polarize the campus community and sends a message of
disrespect and domination over American Indians and all other
subjugated populations in this country. The boycott will
continue until the Board of Trustees votes to retire the use
of the "Chief" mascot at UIUC.

I-Resist! is also sponsoring an evening vigil on Tuesday -
June 15, 2004 at 6pm on the UIUC quad.  We invite you to show
your support for this movement by attending these
important events.

To pressure the Board to address this issue, UIUC protestors
will join other organizations in Chicago at the June 16
rally/march (begins at 2:00 pm at Truman College) and at the
June 17 Board of Trustees meeting.

Contact cosmico at sbcglobal.net for more information

new email in effect after getting kicked off the UIUC server *sigh*
bokhari at warpmail.net

*If you go to one demonstration and then go home, that's something, but
the people in power can live with that. What they can't live with is
sustained pressure that keeps building, organizations that keep doing
things, people that keep learning lessons from the last time and doing it
better the next time...*
                                              *Noam Chomsky*