[Peace-discuss] PETITION: Democracy Now! on UPTV (PETITION!)

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 23 11:19:43 CDT 2004

As I indicated at the last AWARE meeting, I attended this past Monday's UPTV
Commission meeting and made a presentation to the commission informing them
about Free Speech TV and Democracy Now! and asking for their support in
acquiring FSTV and broadcasting Democracy Now! on UPTV. I gave them all a
one-page summary (attached in MS word format if you're interested) and I
spoke at the table with them for a few minutes. At least two of the
commission's members were aware of Democracy Now! and there wasn't any
discernible objection (though there was a concern about whether UPTV rules
would allow this type of retransmission - more on this later if it really
turns into an obstacle). They are putting my proposal on the agenda for
their next meeting on Monday, July 12th at noon (in the Urbana City Council
Chambers). I intend to contact individual members of the commission before
then to see if they have any concerns or questions.

But I think a key to insuring the greatest possibility of success on this is
to put together a petition that thanks the committee for considering this
and encouraging them to formally advise UPTV to go ahead with it. I will
come up with the wording in the next day or two and will ask for help in
getting signatures.

Stay tuned...

PS: I'm still working on my original track with Chris Foster (UPTV
Coordinator) and Bill Dejarnette (Chris' boss), but it is totally blocked at
the moment.