[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] See Fahrenheit 9/11 discuss it and tell others about it.Don't Protest it!

Ken Urban kurban at parkland.edu
Sat Jun 26 11:08:51 CDT 2004

OK since you asked,

I though may parts of it were too mocking.  When Moore allowed the facts
and people to speak for themselves, it was powerful.  The mothers of two
cultures asking God for help/retribution.  The 'burn the mother-fuckers'
song played in the tanks.  The members of the Black Congressional
Congress being silenced one after another in protesting the 2000
election by Gore because no Senator would sign on.  That scene speaks
volumes about priorities of the Democratic Leadership ... 'maintaining
the status quo' is what's important.

When Moore manipulates us, the movie seems like propaganda.  An example
was using the guitar lick from Eric Clapton's 'Cocaine' when talking
about Bush and Black. If he wants to accuse Bush of being a coke head,
go ahead and do it, don't use subliminal messages.  Another example is
his mocking of the 'Coalition of the Willing', playing to people's
stereotypes of the countries signed on.

Since I attend AWARE meetings and pay attention, none of this was new to
me (Thanks Carl & commondreams.org).  I think it would have been more
powerful if Moore just stuck to the facts, they're damning enough.

Ken

Ken Urban
Assoc. Prof., Computer Science
Parkland College

Office: B129A
           (217)-353-2246
>>> "Gabriel Stanton" <ggstanto at hotmail.com> 06/25/04 11:19 PM >>>
      Hey  if you want to criticize the film try the peace discuss list
serve.

Peace!

Gabe