[Peace-discuss] John Pilger's article on Kerry

Ken Urban kurban at parkland.edu
Sun Mar 7 22:04:48 CST 2004

>Another statement: "the Democratic party has left a larger trail of
>blood* theft and subjugation than the Republicans". Pilger is not
>serious, as the French say, in view now of events in Iraq, Afghanistan,
>and what is to come. True, Vietnam can be ascribed to Kennedy, Johnson
>et al, but carried on by Nixon and Kissinger, during whose reign, most
>of the deaths occurred. Similarly, Pilger tends to identify the
>Democrats as synonymous with former Senator Jackson (WA) and others on
>the right wing of the party. Although the left-right political spectra
>of  Dems and Repubs do overlap considerably, there is no doubt that the
>centroids of the distributions are quite different. There were/are no
>equivalent Morses, Fullbrights, McCarthys, McGoverns, even Durbins,
>Wellstones, Kucinichs, Leahys, Black Caucus, in the Republican
>spectrum. Someone who is blind to these distinctions cannot be taken
>seriously.

Gina and I have been discussing this since Friday's lunch and the  "ABB"  discussion we had.  We in AWARE have been saying that the sanctions killed 1/2 million Iraqis.  Much of this blood lies on Clinton's hands.

As many of you know, we have a sign on our house that reads 'Peace On Earth'.  This was put up in late 1998, when Clinton was bombing Iraq for "lack of progress in inspections' or something.

I think that Kerry will try to prove that he's as 'tough on terrorism' as Bush and will continue to do so if elected, leaving many thousands dead.  This campaign is turning into a race to global dictatorship by US, maybe that's why Nader is polling at 6% despite the "ABB" democratic stategy aimed at the progressive community, some people reject where the centroids of either party are.

Ken

Ken Urban
Assoc. Prof., Computer Science
Parkland College