[Peace-discuss] John Pilger's article on Kerry (2)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 8 14:57:45 CST 2004

Mort--

Some specifics. You object particularly to the following paragraph form
Pilger's article:

> "The truth is that Clinton was little different from Bush, a
> crypto-fascist. During the Clinton years, the principal welfare safety
> nets were taken away and poverty in America increased sharply; a
> multibillion-dollar missile "defense" system known as Star Wars II was
> instigated; the biggest war and arms budget in history was approved;
> biological weapons verification was rejected, along with a
> comprehensive nuclear test ban treaty, the establishment of an
> international criminal court and a worldwide ban on landmines.
> Contrary to a myth that places the blame on Bush, the Clinton
> administration in effect destroyed the movement to combat global
> warming."

[1] I'm unhappy with the term "crypto-fascist." It might be defended in
terms of what Clinton, unprincipled as he was, would have done in more
extreme circumstances, but that's conjecture.  Fascism refers at least to
a more authoritarian regime than the US has.  The methods of control are
different -- propaganda, rather than police repression of elites. (That
often doesn't help non-elites: Clinton's America imprisoned more of them
per capita than any other country in the world.)

[2] You "would not agree that Clinton was little different from Bush," but
surely the issue is how important those differences were.  Since they both
served the same masters, I think it's correct to assume, not much. Hence
"his destructive policies, foreign and domestic," as you say.

[3] "Ashcroft and the justice department" -- cf. the burning of dissidents
at Waco (Ashcroft's just imprisoning them) and the "Effective Death
Penalty Act" after the OKC bombing.  Had Clinton been in office after 911,
I have no doubt he'd have rushed through he Patriot Act too -- which,
after all, was sitting on the shelf because it was a police wish-list
prepared during the Clinton years...

[4] "...court appointments -- guys like Pryor and Pickering wouldn't have
been nominated by Clinton."  I think far too much is made of this: look at
the Supreme Court appointments, back to Eisenhower.  The best have often
come from Republicans, the worst form Democrats.  Furthermore, liberals
make a great error relying on the courts to save them.  The courts
discover rights only when popular movements demand them -- witness
minority civil rights, free speech.

[5] "...women's and minority rights..." -- often code for a defense of
sanctity of abortion, the defense of which allowed feminist groups to
give Clinton a pass on real progressive issues from welfare to health
care. As Alex Cockburn wrote after Clinton's first 100 days, "He's no
friend of the unborn and unwanted, and that's enough to keep the liberals
happy ...  Bottom line: Clinton has been good on anything irrelevant to
the stability of power and wealth."

[6] "...environmental records and appointments (Clinton's was not
exemplary, but was far better than Bush's)."  Far better?  I'd recommend
two books by the best environmental writer in he country, Jeff St. Clair
-- Al Gore: A User's Manual, and Been Brown So Long It Looked Like Green
to Me.

[7] "...general appointments to government agencies, even military
programs."  In some cases certainly, but some pretty wretched ones, too --
e.g., see St. Clair on Babbitt.

[8] "Star Wars ideas came on stage in the Reagan administration, not
Clinton's; Clinton unfortunately did not suppress budgeting for them, but
took a middling, compromising, position, very different from what we are
now confronting."  Not only "did not suppress" but continued, and I think
you minimize what he did.  There's a great deal of continuity
Reagan-Bush1-Clinton-Bush2 on this, and some of Clinton's moves were quite
shocking, e.g., "Clinton negotiators encouraged Russia to adopt
Washington's launch-on-warning strategy to alleviate Russian concerns over
BMD and annulment of the ABM treaty..."!
<www.zmag.org/sustainers/content/2001-07/03chomsky.htm>.

[9] "It is not true that 'the biggest war and arms budget in history was
approved' in the Clinton years ... it was higher in the Reagan and Bush II
years."  I think you're right about this.  But remember that the Clinton
years saw the end of the Cold War, the justification for US military
spending -- and nothing happened.  There was no "peace dividend." Who even
remembers the phrase?  The Clinton administration showed that "defense"
was never the issue.

[10] "Biological weapons verification, renunciation of the international
court of justice, the Kyoto global warming protocol, were not rejected by
Clinton, although he was not proactive in supporting these. there was a
lot of opposition from the Congress here which he did not seek to fight."
Not exactly; see the following from August 1999