[Peace-discuss] Kucinich

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 10:30:19 CST 2004

For Immediate Release: March 11, 2004
Contact: Matt Harris: (o) 216.889.2004, (c) 216.403.3980, press at kucinich.us

Kucinich To Call for Ban on Munitions Made From Radioactive Materials

WHAT: Press conference
WHO: Congressman Dennis Kucinich and Dr. Doug Rokke, PhD
WHERE: University of Illinois, Champaign Campus, Illini Forum
WHEN: Monday, March 15th, 7:00 PM

Champaign, Ill. - Democratic Congressman and presidential candidate Dennis
Kucinich will hold a press conference about U.S. munitions made from
radioactive materials (depleted uranium, or DU) manufactured in sites
across the U.S. and used in U.S.-led wars beginning with the Gulf War in
1991. Joining Kucinich will be Dr. Doug Rokke is one of the word's leading
experts on the use of DU
munitions.

Kucinich is expected to discuss the devastating health consequences
suffered by American servicemen and women and their families and by
innocent civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo, Serbia, Kuwait, Saudi
Arabia and elsewhere because of U.S. use of DU munitions.

Kucinich is also expected to demand that the U.S. cease manufacturing and
using DU munitions; that it provide all necessary medical care to all
persons who have been exposed to US munitions, military and civilian
alike; and that the U.S. take full responsibility for performing complete
environmental remediation wherever our military has used DU munitions.

"Depleted uranium weapons are an unacceptable threat to life, a violation
of international law, and an assault on human dignity," says Kucinich. "We
have an obligation to do what is right for our servicemen and women, for
our children and our grandchildren and our grandchildren's children, and
for all citizens of the world. We must ban the use of depleted uranium in
our military and worldwide; we must provide medical care to all DU
casualties; and we must clean up all the places where we've used this
poison that has the power to kill for countless generations into the
future."

Dr. Doug Rokke earned his Ph.D. in Physics and Technology Education at the
University of Illinois, and served as a member of the U.S. Army Medical
Command's Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical (NBC) special operations and
teaching team during the Gulf War. Dr. Rokke, a confirmed DU poisoning
casualty, has taught hazardous materials; field emergency medicine;
nuclear, biological, and chemical warfare; education and training,
counter-terrorism, and military operations courses for more than 20 years.
Recently  Dr. Rokke has taught undergraduate and graduate courses in
environmental science and engineering, nuclear physics, and emergency
management.

For information about the National campaign: http://www.kucinich.us
For Congressman Kucinich's Schedule: http://www.kucinich.us/schedule.htm
To schedule an interview with Kucinich or spokesperson: jonathans at kucinich.us
For information about the Illinois Kucinich campaign: Diego Alvarado,
309-275-5070, MrDiegoAlvarado at aol.com