[Peace-discuss] Marshall Island Atomic tests

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 10:36:52 CST 2004

Vieques in solidarity with Marshall Islands

Nilda Medina, founding member of the Committee for the Rescue and Development
of Vieques, travelled to the Marshall Islands to participate in the
conmemoration of Bravo Day:  March 1, 1954 - day of the first hydrogen bomb detonation
by the US military.  The 'marshallesel, like our people of Vieques, struggle
for peace:  for decontamination, demilitarization and health, democratic
economy.  Nilda was invited by the Earth is Life group, survivors of the horrible
effects of militarism around the world.  In representation of the CRDV, Nilda
took a message of solidarity from Vieques and returned with a stronger
committment to justice and peace for Vieques and the entire world.

Remarks of Rongelap Mayor James Matayoshi

Bravo Day, March 1, 2004, Marshall Islands

Today I stand before you as Mayor of Rongelap, but more importantly, I stand
before you as a son of Rongelap - a true son of the "survivors". You are here
because you have determined that today, as we commemorate the terrible and
terrifying event of March 1, 1954, it is important that you come. We are grateful
to you for being here. We are especially proud to welcome our friends from
the World Councils of Churches, our friends from Japan, Europe, and America. We
know of friends here from as far away as New Zealand and Puerto Rico. We thank
you all. We welcome you all.

Some of you are from the islands which have born this tragedy for fifty years
and more. some of you represent organizations and communities of people who
feel strong ties to those of us who survived Bravo.

Some of you represent governments and important organizations from throughout
our world. Many of you have come to show solidarity with us today when we
take a solemn pause to memorialize events of the past.. Events which forever
changed our lives, and by the fact that you are here, your lives as well.

Throughout this day, and as you interact with each other during these
commemorative services, your will undoubtedly hear various accounts of events
surrounding Bravo. From this long list of stories and anectodes, you will witness the
horror of the bomb, hear the multitude of reasons why this or that happened,
and draw your own conclusions as to what to believe. Of course, you will hear
from the apologists who will try as they always do to explain away our
suffering and sorrow as byproducts of the cold war. The "accident" theorists will
tell you about sudden shifts of wind and stronger yields than expected. Others
will write us as of allies just bearing their share of the burdens of the cold
war.

Local witnesses will tell you personal versions of what they saw and felt
from the eyes and the understanding of human beings and not scientists or
soldiers or politicians. They will tell you of how as children they ran and cried
then played in the milky dust that fell on them. They will tell you of confusion,
of fear, of thinking that the world had ended.

Leaders will tell you how they tried to do all they could do to deal with the
matter. Representatives of governments will try to assure you that all that
could be done to bring the matter to closure have been done. They will tell you
that Washington no longer sees these islands on their radar screen and
therefore our quest for fairness and justice is all in vain.

I wonder if they will tell you about Project 4.1. : The study of humans
exposed to radiation. We began learning more about this program when previously
classified documents pertaining to the testing program were released to us in
1994 under the clinton administration. Among the thousands of documents
declassified we discovered this frightening program plan. Drawn in 1953 for the planned
1954 castle nuclear test series, Project 4.1 contemplated the study of
exposed human beings months before Bravo.

Throughout the years our people have had misgivings about the annual medical
examinations they were subjected to byscientists from the United States. Our
discovery of these descriptions of Project 4.1 have reinforced our conviction
that we were being studied not treated by the scientists who examined us. If
Project 4.1 was conceived, planned and funded prior to March 1, 1954, where were
the study subjects supposed to come from?

We have pictures showing "subjects" of the 4.1 study as early as March 16,
1954. Could this project have been put in place in a matter of two weeks without
requisite technical and logistical planning? American doctors have testified
that they were treating our injuries and that the studies were an integral
part of the treatment. Yet it was general knowledge from the beginning that they
would not treat conditions which they considered unrelated to the tests and
would refer such patients to the trust territory medical authorities.

We have documents pertaining to studies where certain radioactive materials
were given to subjects both" exposed " and " unexposed" . This resulted in
previously unexposed subjects being exposed for the purpose of comparison and
exposed persons getting even more radiation than they had been gotting from the
bomb. If Project 4.1 was not a study why were there "control groups"?

Many documents pertaining to the tests have yet to be released. Others, like
the photographs in the office of the district administrator here in Majuro
were removed and set on fire by agents of the United States Government. Several
other fires involving medical records of Marshallese exposed to radiation have
been reported through the years.

Sufficient information regarding weather conditions surrounding Bravo has
been gathered to convince us that there was no unexpected change in weather that
caused radioactive fallout to reach inhabited areas. The generals and
scientists in charge of the testing chose to ignore weather studies and forecasts
which predicted unsafe conditions for the testing.

On earlier occasions, people were moved for safety reasons for prior tests
with much smaller expected yield. For Bravo, there was no such precautionary
relocation. People were left where they were, unaware that they were in harm's
way, totally at the mercy of the most powerful nuclear device ever detonated by
man.

For all these years under American guidance, we have learned principles of
democracy and human rights under which all men aspire to live. Yet, when we seek
to be treated with honor and dignity, we are denied the means to assure that
fairness and justice is guaranteed to all. The United States continues to be
less than forthcoming in its handling of information and dissemination of facts
pertaining to the testing program.

Here we are, fifty years after Bravo, and the people forcibly removed from
their homes for the atomic tests, with the exception of Utrik, have yet to
return home. The question of exposure as it affects other atolls of the Marshalls
has yet to be fully addressed. Many claims are still being prepared.
Adjudicated claims have not been paid in full as agreed upon by the United States.
Medical and monitoring programs, promised by those who exposed us, have been
severely curtailed or abandoned. Making "non-exposed" Marshallese responsible for
the medical needs of "exposed" Marshallese is not a just solution. America must
own up to the problems it created.

Bravo is not over. The people of Kwajalein, who sacrificed their home and
society for America's nuclear ambitions, still live in squalid conditions on
Ebeye, unable to live in peace and comfort in their own homeland. They have been
subjected to many of the same treatment the islands of the tests suffered:
displacement, loss of traditional skills, social disruption, and the contamination
of their lands and seas.

We became dependent on the us because the us claimed the power to govern us.
We did not ask for it, but when it happened we came to understand the choices
we had. After decades of living with the good and the bad under American rule,
we decided that the greater good would be to cast our lot with the U.S. under
the Compact of Free Association.

Today we are America' allies in the war on terrorism. We are America's allies
in the development of the missile systems. We are allies in the u.n. And vote
with you when all your other allies abandon the U.S. on issues of great
importance. We do that of our own free will, without the exercise of extra-ordinary
U.S. Powers under the Compact.

For all these reasons, I can say we appreciate and understand America. We
understand what Fourth of July means to Americans. We understand what's Ford
theater and December 7, 1941 mean to America. We understand what November 22, 1963
means to America. We understand what September 11 will always mean to America.

What we are here today to ask is that America understand us as well as we
understand it. For our people, for the Marshall Islands, March 1, 1954 is the
defining moment in world history.

That is the Fourth of July, the Assasination of President Lincoln and
Kennedy, Pearl Harbor and 9/11 all wrapped into one.

That is the day the world stood still and also changed forever. That is the
day we went from being an occupied nation to becoming a dependent nation. That
is the day we went from being survivors of the world war to victims of the
cold war.

March 1, 1954, is the day that defines a legacy that would not end when the
testing ended. This on going legacy is recognized under section 177 of the
Compact of Free Association. The "full and final settlement "under section 177 is
not limited to the number of dollars deposited in the nuclear claims trust
fund. The full and final settlement includes the on-going political and legal
process recognized under the section 177 agreement as the path to reach truth
and justice.

That includes the Article IX changed circumstances process as a matter left
to be resolved by the US Congress. It also includes the adjudication of
additional claims under law by the nuclear claims tribunal.

So what we ask today on this 50th Anniversary is not just that we remember
the past. We ask that the us remember its commitments. We ask Americans to
understand us as well as we understand them. We think they do. We think the US is a
great nation that can do the right thing.

It is too simple to say that the wrongs done to us were justified by the good
that the US has done for the Marshall Islands and the world. There must also
be justice for our people.

We believe it is significant that former US Attorney General Dick Thornburgh
independently concluded the Nuclear Claims Tribunal operated by the US
judicial standards. And we are pleased that Senator Domenici announced during
hearings on the Compact renewal that the US Senate will hold hearings on the nuclear
testing legacy.

At time when the US is spending billions to study nuclear clean up at
mainland weapons production sites, and hundreds of billions to make the world a safer
place, the US has a legal and moral obligation to finally resolve the legacy
of nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands- a democratic ally on all fronts
in the current war that asks for nothing except just compensation for
judicially determined claims.

That is all we ask. We respect and trust the United States to do what is
right when it has the facts. Now is a moment in history when the facts can come
out. The truth can be told. Our story needs to be told and the American people
need to hear it.

So today, I tell you my friends - Bravo lives on. The terrible disruption it
wreaked upon the lives of the people of Rongelap and the Marshall Islands
still haunts us. But we shall not let that dampen our hopes or our determinationto
seek justice wherever we shall find it. We have survived the greatest weapon
of war man has ever devised. We will survive whatever is before us and we
shall not rest until our quest for justice is found. That is our promise. That is
our goal. With your help, and the help of free people everywhere, with the
blessing of God, we shall prevail.