[Peace-discuss] Wash. Post finds American who supports Aristide account

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 16 16:35:15 CST 2004

Buried deep in Peter Eisner's Washington Post story on Aristide's arrival in
Haiti (which actually did make the front page), is the revelation that an
unnamed "American security guard" supported at least part of Aristide's
account of what happened when he left Haiti. It's a tiny little paragraph,
but is still very compelling. I'm sure we'll hear about tomorrow on
Democracy Now! Eisner was the only other journalist in the Gulfstream flight
that went to CAR to retrieve Aristide. Here's the paragraph in question:

The American security guard, speaking on condition he not be identified,
described the U.S. security warning as a subterfuge to lure Aristide away.
"That was just bogus. It's a story they fabricated," he said.

The story is at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61549-2004Mar15.html