[Peace-discuss] Kucinich demographics

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Sat Mar 27 07:23:47 CST 2004

Very interesting numbers, Randall. At a glance, they look similar to what
the Greens saw in 2000 with the Nader campaign, and in 2002 with Carl's run
for Congress. (Ken Urban or John Paul Schmidt have the best sense of those
results, I think. You might want to follow up with them.) As I recall, Ken
did especially well in those Champaign precincts in his run for City
Council last year, too. Clearly, there are strong pockets of progressivism
in this community, thanks in no small part to the efforts of local people
involved in progressive politics, in peace and justice groups like AWARE,
in campus social-political groups, in IMC, community radio and alternative
media generally, etc. etc.

As you may also have noticed, the Champaign County results for Kucinich
were by far the highest of any Illinois county - other standouts included
6.8 percent in McLean (Bloomington-Normal) and 3.9 percent in Sangamon
(Springfield), versus 2.3 percent statewide. (The figures are at
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2004/by_county/IL_Page.html?SITE=ILCHAELN&SECTION=POLITICS#President)
There's a clear relationship with where Kucinich chose to spend his time in
the days just before the Illinois primaries - testament both to the
strength of progressive ideals in these communities, and to the good sense
of the campaign in where to visit. It's also worth mentioning that there
are very active Green locals in both McLean and Sangamon. For what it's
worth, Kucinich's percentage statewide is also similar to Nader's
performance in the 2000 general election; Carl won about 3.9 percent of the
total 15th Congressional District vote in 2002.

By the way, I've burned an audio CD of Kucinich's talk at the Illini Union
and will put a couple copies at the IMC sometime this weekend. Sound
quality isn't perfect - I used a minidisc recorder at my seat - but pretty
good. (I also videotaped the talk, but the result's kind of jittery since I
didn't take a tripod. I won't bother making a tape of that unless somebody
really really wants it, but I'll leave a realmedia version on CD at IMC for
anyone interested.) It's a moving and important speech - well worth re-hearing.

regards,
Jim