[Peace-discuss] Kucinich demographics

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 27 05:40:36 CST 2004

I chewed on the Kucinich voting results for Champaign and Urbana for a
while, just out of my own personal curiosity. Not that I'm moving or
anything, but it seems to me that a neighborhood's "Kucinich quotient" would
be a pretty good indicator of a nice place to live =8-). And it got me
wondering...

The raw data I used is at:

http://www.champaigncountyclerk.org/

Champaign County overall: 13.9% Kucinich
Urbana: 21.6% Kucinich
Champaign: 14.3% Kucinich

Some other interesting observations:

The winning precinct for highest Kucinich concentration is Urbana's 4th
precinct, with 43.9%.
The 4th precinct is entirely on campus, bordered by Nevada, Pennsylvania,
Wright and Lincoln. So this is essentially all University Residence Halls
and includes Allen Hall.

Precinct maps are available at:

http://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/precinctmaps.htm

The 4th precinct, along with Urbana's 7th and 8th precincts each had
Kucinich totals that actually beat Kerry.

The strongest Kucinich concentration in Champaign was the 2nd precinct (the
one I live in - Yay Us!) with 37.8%. However, no Champaign precinct had
Kucinich numbers that beat Kerry.

There are 5 main Kucinich "strongholds"

1. Urbana precinct 4 (as described)

2. Central Urbana (precincts 7,8 and 12) - this is the area bordered roughly
by University on the north, Washington on the south, Lincoln on the west and
Cottage Grove on the east. Altogether: 41.8%

3. North campus (2nd precinct in Champaign combined with 2nd precinct in
Urbana). That's roughly the area bordered by University on the north, Green
on the south, 3rd on the west and Lincoln on the east. Altogether: 36.5%

4. Ricky's old neighborhood - specifically Champaign precinct 12. Yes, the
highest off-campus Kucinich concentration in Champaign is pretty much
centered right at Ricky's old house =8-). Specifically, this precinct is
essentially bordered by University on the north, Springfield on the south,
Neil on the east and Prospect on the west. 31.1%

5. The "Church Street Corridor" - Champaign precincts 11, 19 and 25 -
basically two or three blocks on either side of Church Street from Neil all
the way out to Prospect. Altogether: 25.4%

And finally, a couple other items of interest:

There were actually more votes for Kucinich from Urbana than from Champaign
(750 vs. 650), even though Champaign's population is much larger.

The UofI campus as a whole (Champaign precincts 2 through 5 combined with
Urbana precincts 2 through 5) came in at 30%.