[Peace-discuss] The Empire backfires

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 30 19:09:05 CST 2004

Here's an excellent analysis of the Iraq war and its larger implications
by Jonathan Schell (noted for writing *The Fate of the Earth* during the
'80s).  As he did for the Reagan era arms race of the 80's, Schell does a
good job of putting the Iraq war and Bush policy into a broader context
of the problems that humanity must solve if civilization is to survive in
the long term.  Since it's long, I'll give the URL rather than the whole
article.

Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-328-4064
homepage: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ppatton/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein