[Peace-discuss] an email from Iraq

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Tue Mar 30 19:10:20 CST 2004

This email message from a activated USAR medic reveals a lot. She is looking
for safety and security that do not and will not exist.  Her concept that
"sweeping the town" will solve the problem is part of the attitude exhibited by
too many soldiers . The idea that 3 miles down the road is safe ignores reality
that no place is safe since U.S. forces illegally invaded another country and
now maintain control by force aganist '"insurgents".  Funny how those whose
country we invaded are now the bad guys - indurgents.  She wrote: "I no longer
care about the people of Iraq.  They will never know freedom  because they
aren't willing to fight and die for it."
Somehow she misses reality that Iraqis are fighting for their freedom now
from occupying U.S. and coalition forces.
She continued "Their idea of  freedom  is for the US to keep them safe, so
they will never have it."   Arrogance!
They sure do not want any foreign forces in Iraq.
She continued "We need to come home.  I don't think any good will come of
this -- maybe for some individuals, but ultimately, their country will fail
because of the attitude and fear/cowardice of their citizens." This attitude that
only U.S. is right and only way to do things is part of brainwashing by
military leaders.
and I wonder if she even thinks about health and environmental effects on
Iraqis and even cares about their death and casualty count.  U.S. casualty count
already exceeds 13,000 WIA, KIA, DNBI.

and she concludes:  "I don't mean to vent, but I don't know what else to do
at this point..and it's only been a month..."

She is experiencing the reality of war and will at some point crash and burn.
When she returns, if she survives, and is released from active duty then she
will have reality to deal with. If she is from Illinois or midwest she
probably falls under command of 330th Medical brigade and assigned units. History
shows abandonment of combat vets by that command.  And as to VA forget it......

simple no one wins in war you are psychologically and physiologically changed
forever.

Finally she asks: " Is this someone's ego keeping us in harms way???"

The answer is yes- Bush and gang.

now how can we get all of these observations / responses on her email to her?

doug

In a message dated 3/30/04 4:19:57 PM Central Standard Time,
kurban at parkland.edu writes:

<< Today, like every day, I need my mommy....

 > I am so glad you are never far away.  I always know that you are close
 my heart.

 > I may the way you can help us/me...
 >
 > My post is the most mortared in theater.  I worked on (and lost)
 another
 soldier last night because his unit continues to go into our town and
 get
 blown up by Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).  They swept the town
 four
 days for weapons and insurgents, but the mission was comprised and they
 came
 up with nothing...then they have run into almost a dozen of these
 bombs...but we kept sending them out there...My post, a group of combat
 support mechanics and truck drivers, continues to get bombed, but we
 stay
 here and take it.  Is this someone's ego keeping us in harms way???  Our
 post could easily operate 2-3 miles down the road, out of reach of the
 mortars.

 > I no longer care about the people of Iraq.  They will never know
 freedom
 because they aren't willing to fight and die for it.  Their idea of
 freedom
 is for the US to keep them safe, so they will never have it.

 > We need to come home.  I don't think any good will come of this --
 maybe
 for some individuals, but ultimately, their country will fail because of
 the
 attitude and fear/cowardice of their citizens.

 > I did everything I could last night...just like four nights ago...and
 it
 didn't work.  I'm doing procedures here that I never dreamed I would
 ever
 do.  I cut into a man's chest last night as a final effort, but it was
 too
 late...it was actually too late before he got here, but I couldn't bring
 myself to pronounce him.  The damage these devices do to the human body
 is
 incredible.

 > I love you so much.  Maybe it is time to send up the flag to
 Washington.
 Let them spend just one frickin' night in my aid station, ruin another
 uniform with a 22 year old husband/son/father's blood, have to convince
 my
 medics that we are just...that last one I just can't do anymore, so they
 need to.