[Peace-discuss] Lynn Sprout needs community support this week!

lori serb laserb at shout.net
Mon May 3 01:10:42 CDT 2004

I sent this out on Saturday, but received an "unprocessed" and
"Ignored" response from the list:
peace-discuss-bounces at lists.cu.groogroo.com

What did I do wrong?

Lori

  Dear Comrades,
     For the first time in the history of Urbana, the Human Relations
     Commission will hear a case of anti-lesbian discrimination in the
     workplace.  It is important that we fill the hearing room to show
     support for Lynn Sprout, fired lesbian pediatric nurse and former
     employee of Carle Foundation Hospital, to ensure that a fair hearing
     takes place and to give the Commissioners courage to act against the
     hospital if th evidence shows discrimination.
     The hearing before the Urbana Human Relations Commission for Lynn
     Sprout is 5:30pm Tuesday, May 4 - Friday, May 7 in Urbana City
     Council Chambers, 400 S. Vine St. in Urbana.
     A rally in support of Lynn and to demand that Carle offer family
     medical leave to its employess in same-sex relationships, is set for
     12:15-1pm on Monday, May 3rd in front of Carle Hospital at the corner
     of Coler/University Ave.  We have banners, flyers and signs.  All we
     need is you!
     Please join us!
     Kimberlie  Kranich

  Sprout case background:

     Lynn Sprout, a 15-year employee at Carle, was fired after she came
     out to her supervisor while caring for her dying same-sex partner of
     18 years.  Lynn was denied family medical leave to care for her
     partner.  Instead, she had to take vacation days to care for her
     partner and when her partner died, Lynn's staff donated their
     vacation days so Lynn could attend her partner's funeral. Carle fired
     Lynn 160 days after her partner's death.

     Kimberlie