[Peace-discuss] Rogue journalists

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu May 13 09:28:13 CDT 2004

[From the best news and public affairs show on television.  --CGE]

The Daily Show, 5/11/04:

      Jon Stewart: Stephen, what do you think about this idea that
      we are hearing from Rumsfeld, and now Sen. Inhofe, that the
      press was somehow irresponsible for releasing these photos of
      abuse?

      Stephen Colbert: Jon, I agree entirely with Secy Rumsfeld
      that the release of these photos was deplorable, but these
      actions of a few rogue journalists do not represent the vast
      majority of the American media.

      Stewart: The journalists did something wrong?

      Colbert: I'm just saying those journalists don't represent
      the journalists I know. The journalists I know love America,
      but now all anybody wants to talk about is the bad
      journalists--the journalists that hurt America.

      But what they don't talk about is all the amazingly damaging
      things we haven't reported on. Who didn't uncover the flaws
      in our pre-war intelligence? Who gave a free pass on the
      Saddam-al Queda connection? Who dropped Aghanistan from the
      headlines at the first whiff of this Iraqi snipehunt? The
      United States press corps, that's who. Heck, we didn't even
      put this story on the front page. We tried to bury it on "60
      Minutes II." Who's on that--Charlie Rose and Anglela
      Lansbury?

      Stewart: Stephen, what do you think is at play here?

      Colbert: Politics, Jon, that's what. Pure and simple. I think
      it's pretty suspicious that these tortures took place during
      a Presidential campaign. This is a clear cut case of partisan
      sadism. You know, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure those
      Iraqi prisoners want Bush out of office too. You know I
      wouldn't be a bit surprised if a pile of hooded, naked Iraqis
      has a job waiting for them in the Kerry Administration.

	***