[Peace-discuss] Seymour Hersh's latest New Yorker article skewers Rumsfeld, Part 2

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Sun May 16 08:23:52 CDT 2004

I'm sending this out in two parts, because it was so big that it bounced.
This is part 2  --Phil

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040524fa_fact

In 2003, Rumsfeld’s apparent disregard for the requirements of the Geneva
Conventions while carrying out the war on terror had led a group of senior
military legal officers from the Judge Advocate General’s (jag) Corps to pay
two surprise visits within five months to Scott Horton, who was then
chairman of the New York City Bar Association’s Committee on International
Human Rights. “They wanted us to challenge the Bush Administration about its
standards for detentions and interrogation,” Horton told me. “They were
urging us to get involved and speak in a very loud voice. It came pretty
much out of the blue. The message was that conditions are ripe for abuse,
and it’s going to occur.” The military officials were most alarmed about the
growing use of civilian contractors in the interrogation process, Horton
recalled. “They said there was an atmosphere of legal ambiguity being
created as a result of a policy decision at the highest levels in the
Pentagon. The jag officers were being cut out of the policy formulation
process.” They told him that, with the war on terror, a fifty-year history
of exemplary application of the Geneva Conventions had come to an end.

The abuses at Abu Ghraib were exposed on January 13th, when Joseph Darby, a
young military policeman assigned to Abu Ghraib, reported the wrongdoing to
the Army’s Criminal Investigations Division. He also turned over a CD full
of photographs. Within three days, a report made its way to Donald Rumsfeld,
who informed President Bush.

The inquiry presented a dilemma for the Pentagon. The C.I.D. had to be
allowed to continue, the former intelligence official said. “You can’t cover
it up. You have to prosecute these guys for being off the reservation. But
how do you prosecute them when they were covered by the special-access
program? So you hope that maybe it’ll go away.” The Pentagon’s attitude last
January, he said, was “Somebody got caught with some photos. What’s the big
deal? Take care of it.” Rumsfeld’s explanation to the White House, the
official added, was reassuring: “‘We’ve got a glitch in the program. We’ll
prosecute it.’ The cover story was that some kids got out of control.”

In their testimony before Congress last week, Rumsfeld and Cambone struggled
to convince the legislators that Miller’s visit to Baghdad in late August
had nothing to do with the subsequent abuse. Cambone sought to assure the
Senate Armed Services Committee that the interplay between Miller and
Lieutenant General Ricardo Sanchez, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, had only
a casual connection to his office. Miller’s recommendations, Cambone said,
were made to Sanchez. His own role, he said, was mainly to insure that the
“flow of intelligence back to the commands” was “efficient and effective.”
He added that Miller’s goal was “to provide a safe, secure and humane
environment that supports the expeditious collection of intelligence.”

It was a hard sell. Senator Hillary Clinton, Democrat of New York, posed the
essential question facing the senators:

If, indeed, General Miller was sent from Guantánamo to Iraq for the purpose
of acquiring more actionable intelligence from detainees, then it is fair to
conclude that the actions that are at point here in your report [on abuses
at Abu Ghraib] are in some way connected to General Miller’s arrival and his
specific orders, however they were interpreted, by those MPs and the
military intelligence that were involved.. . .Therefore, I for one don’t
believe I yet have adequate information from Mr. Cambone and the Defense
Department as to exactly what General Miller’s orders were . . . how he
carried out those orders, and the connection between his arrival in the fall
of ’03 and the intensity of the abuses that occurred afterward.

Sometime before the Abu Ghraib abuses became public, the former intelligence
official told me, Miller was “read in”—that is, briefed—on the
special-access operation. In April, Miller returned to Baghdad to assume
control of the Iraqi prisons; once the scandal hit, with its glaring
headlines, General Sanchez presented him to the American and international
media as the general who would clean up the Iraqi prison system and instill
respect for the Geneva Conventions. “His job is to save what he can,” the
former official said. “He’s there to protect the program while limiting any
loss of core capability.” As for Antonio Taguba, the former intelligence
official added, “He goes into it not knowing shit. And then: ‘Holy cow!
What’s going on?’”

If General Miller had been summoned by Congress to testify, he, like
Rumsfeld and Cambone, would not have been able to mention the special-access
program. “If you give away the fact that a special-access program
exists,”the former intelligence official told me, “you blow the whole
quick-reaction program.”

One puzzling aspect of Rumsfeld’s account of his initial reaction to news of
the Abu Ghraib investigation was his lack of alarm and lack of curiosity.
One factor may have been recent history: there had been many previous
complaints of prisoner abuse from organization like Human Rights Watch and
the International Red Cross, and the Pentagon had weathered them with ease.
Rumsfeld told the Senate Armed Services Committee that he had not been
provided with details of alleged abuses until late March, when he read the
specific charges. “You read it, as I say, it’s one thing. You see these
photographs and it’s just unbelievable. . . . It wasn’t three-dimensional.
It wasn’t video. It wasn’t color. It was quite a different thing.” The
former intelligence official said that, in his view, Rumsfeld and other
senior Pentagon officials had not studied the photographs because “they
thought what was in there was permitted under the rules of engagement,” as
applied to the sap. “The photos,” he added, “turned out to be the result of
the program run amok.”

The former intelligence official made it clear that he was not alleging that
Rumsfeld or General Myers knew that atrocities were committed. But, he said,
“it was their permission granted to do the sap, generically, and there was
enough ambiguity, which permitted the abuses.”

This official went on, “The black guys”—those in the Pentagon’s secret
program—“say we’ve got to accept the prosecution. They’re vaccinated from
the reality.” The sap is still active, and “the United States is picking up
guys for interrogation. The question is, how do they protect the
quick-reaction force without blowing its cover?” The program was protected
by the fact that no one on the outside was allowed to know of its existence.
“If you even give a hint that you’re aware of a black program that you’re
not read into, you lose your clearances,” the former official said. “Nobody
will talk. So the only people left to prosecute are those who are
undefended—the poor kids at the end of the food chain.”

The most vulnerable senior official is Cambone. “The Pentagon is trying now
to protect Cambone, and doesn’t know how to do it,” the former intelligence
official said.

Last week, the government consultant, who has close ties to many
conservatives, defended the Administration’s continued secrecy about the
special-access program in Abu Ghraib. “Why keep it black?” the consultant
asked. “Because the process is unpleasant. It’s like making sausage—you like
the result but you don’t want to know how it was made. Also, you don’t want
the Iraqi public, and the Arab world, to know. Remember, we went to Iraq to
democratize the Middle East. The last thing you want to do is let the Arab
world know how you treat Arab males in prison.”

The former intelligence official told me he feared that one of the
disastrous effects of the prison-abuse scandal would be the undermining of
legitimate operations in the war on terror, which had already suffered from
the draining of resources into Iraq. He portrayed Abu Ghraib as “a tumor” on
the war on terror. He said, “As long as it’s benign and contained, the
Pentagon can deal with the photo crisis without jeopardizing the secret
program. As soon as it begins to grow, with nobody to diagnose it—it becomes
a malignant tumor.”

The Pentagon consultant made a similar point. Cambone and his superiors, the
consultant said, “created the conditions that allowed transgressions to take
place. And now we’re going to end up with another Church Commission”—the
1975 Senate committee on intelligence, headed by Senator Frank Church, of
Idaho, which investigated C.I.A. abuses during the previous two decades. Abu
Ghraib had sent the message that the Pentagon leadership was unable to
handle its discretionary power. “When the shit hits the fan, as it did on
9/11, how do you push the pedal?” the consultant asked. “You do it
selectively and with intelligence.”

“Congress is going to get to the bottom of this,” the Pentagon consultant
said. “You have to demonstrate that there are checks and balances in the
system.” He added, “When you live in a world of gray zones, you have to have
very clear red lines.”

Senator John McCain, of Arizona, said, “If this is true, it certainly
increases the dimension of this issue and deserves significant scrutiny. I
will do all possible to get to the bottom of this, and all other
allegations.”

“In an odd way,” Kenneth Roth, the executive director of Human Rights Watch,
said, “the sexual abuses at Abu Ghraib have become a diversion for the
prisoner abuse and the violation of the Geneva Conventions that is
authorized.” Since September 11th, Roth added, the military has
systematically used third-degree techniques around the world on detainees.
“Some jags hate this and are horrified that the tolerance of mistreatment
will come back and haunt us in the next war,” Roth told me. “We’re giving
the world a ready-made excuse to ignore the Geneva Conventions. Rumsfeld has
lowered the bar.”