[Peace-discuss] You've been censored by Google, CONGRATULATIONS

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Sun May 16 11:47:40 CDT 2004

My editor at vheadline.com indicated to me than an opinion piece that I
posted today on Colombian paramilitaries was censored by Google's news
search engine, and won't come up searches.  I didn't think that it was
particularly special, but I'll post it here, just because google thinks it's
special.  Speaking of censorship, did everyone see Colin Powell's palm tree
this morning on NBC's Meet the Press?

--Phil

http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=21182

So, what do I need to do to get a small acreage and a bungalow near Bogota?

VHeadline.com's Philip Stinard writes: Last Thursday, the world media
reported a deal between the Colombian government and the United Self-Defense
Forces of Colombia (AUC) ... a right-wing Colombian paramilitary force
responsible for the deaths of tens of thousand of Colombians ... and more
than a few Venezuelans.

The Colombian negotiations with terrorists resulted in a deal in which ten
AUC commanders (according to the Miami Herald, or 400 if you believe the
Associated Press) are to live in a cordoned-off 142 square mile zone (Miami
Herald; 230 square miles according to the AP), protected from US extradition
requests.

The Colombian government has agreed to lift arrest warrants against the
leaders, and the armed forces have promised not to attack them.

    * In fact, the Colombian Army promised to protect them from "rebels."

The paramilitary leaders will be concentrated in northern Colombia, about
180 miles from the Venezuelan border ... which is about a three-hour drive
in a conveniently made-available Baruta Municipal police bus.

The Organization of the American States (OAS) will serve as an "observer"
... in other words, the murderous paramilitary leaders were given a very
large ranch with bodyguards, a babysitter, and freedom from prosecution.

According to the Associated Press: "The AUC, which now funds much of its
military operations through cocaine trafficking, is considered a terrorist
organization by the United States."

The US government has been eerily silent about this deal. Perhaps that is
because they are embarrassed by an ally government negotiating with
terrorists and giving them a sweetheart deal.

    * It's unclear what the Colombian government will get in return for
setting up a paramilitary resort and country club, but the AP hints that
negotiations for the eventual demobilization of the paramilitaries will take
place in the future.

In the meantime, the paramilitaries are demanding an amnesty for all crimes
and human rights violations they've committed ... and freedom from
extradition.

So, what do I need to do to get a small acreage and a bungalow?

Philip Stinard
Philip at VHeadline.com