[Peace-discuss] nice chart -- BAD Administration

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun May 16 14:25:57 CDT 2004

Throw in the "secret C.I.A. detention centers scattered around the world"
that Hersh mentions in he current New Yorker (torture in them was
described in Thursday's NYT), and from Guantanamo to Kandahar (where the
US casually admitted beating two men to death under interrogation last
year), we have something like the "American gulag" that Sidney Blumenthal
(!) described in the British press last week.  (Slavoj Zizek mentioned on
campus last week that the inmates of the Soviet gulag sent birthday
greetings to Stalin -- they really did, he said -- and that we can't
imagine inmates of the German concentration camps doing anything similar.
To which is the US system more comparable?)

This administration made it clear from early on after 9/11 that it was not
going to be bound by international law (or even our national law), even in
its conduct of prisons.  Of course US administrations had acted similarly
in the past, but this group is particularly brazen and fanatical (and we
must say, candid) in their rejection of the law.  In a reasonably just
society, Bush, Chaney, Powell, Rice, Rumsfeld (and their creatures like
Cambone and Wolfowitz) would be occupying cells at The Hague adjacent to
Milosevic (a piker in comparison).  He was extradited by the government
that succeeded him.  We should expect the same from Kerry...  --CGE