[Peace-discuss] Tweedle dumb and dumber

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Wed May 26 20:32:35 CDT 2004

Reading the New York Times today is quite fascinating.  On page A10,
they have a story titled, "Candidates' Iraq Policies Share Many
Similarities."  It comes complete with a box showing the similarities
of Bush and Kerry's policy on Iraq.  Right below it, in another box,
the NYT editors confess that they were duped by the Bush
administration into printing many stories without verifying facts.
It is titled, "From the Editors: The Times and Iraq."

The Op-Ed page continues the story.  William Safire, in a column
titled, "The Bush-Kerry Nondebate, shows how Bush has now endorsed
Kerry's position almost all the way on getting some help from allies
to salvage their policy.

The Op-Ed column by Nicholas D. Kristof is titled, "the Bush and
Kerry Tilt."  It begins, "George Bush and John Kerry disagree on
almost every issue, with one crucial exception: they compete to
support a myopic policy that is unjust, that damages our credibility
around the world that severely undermines our efforts in Iraq. It is
our Israel-Palestine policy, which has become so unbalanced that it's
now little more than an embrace of the right-wing, jingoist whom Mr.
Bush unforgettably labeled a "man of peace," Ariel Sharon.

The truth comes out in strange ways.
--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328