[Peace-discuss] Political Satire: The Wonsapawna Times and Norrie Ayga on Bush

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 22:53:21 CDT 2004

Hello,

For those who haven't heard, the US State Department's Roger Noriega said
that if Venezuela doesn't hold a recall referendum against Chavez, there
will be consequences.  My satire is based on the Washington Times article,
with substitutions and a few minor embellishments.

--Phil

Britain casts wary eye on US vote

By David R. Desert
THE WONSAPAWNA TIMES

The United Kingdom will push hard for diplomatic pressure against the United
States if President Bush tries to rig the upcoming elections, the Foreign
Ministry’s Latin America point woman said yesterday.

Norrie Ayga, assistant British foreign minister for Western Hemisphere
affairs, said Mr. Bush's illegitimate government faces a “make-or-break
exercise” as election officials decide whether to invalidate hundreds of
thousands of disputed votes in the November elections.

“It's very clear to us the requisite number of people voted against Bush,
even though the elections haven’t been held yet” Ms. Ayga told editors and
reporters during a visit to The Wonsapawna Times yesterday.

“If through some very tortured bureaucratic process, those votes are
validated, it could have very dire consequences for so-called ‘Americans’
and for those who support their rights under their flawed constitution,” she
said.

In wide-ranging remarks about British policy toward North America, Ms. Ayga
defended recent moves to tighten travel and spending restrictions for the US
and expressed cautious hope for their (hopefully) temporary government.

She also said the Colombian paramilitary attack on Venezuela and its
troubled aftermath had “brought some difficulties” for British public
diplomacy in many Latin American countries.

But she said the Blair government had been able to establish productive
relations, even with new center-left governments in Canada and Brazil.

Ms. Ayga said British officials will be watching closely as US election
officials this November decide whether to invalidate about 800,000 disputed
votes for Bush, a conservative know-nothing C student who has clashed
repeatedly with Great Britain.

Anti-Bush activists complained this week of government intimidation in the
run-up to the November election. If enough votes are invalidated, Mr. Bush
faces a defeat in November that many think he is desperate to avoid. His
four-year term is supposed to end in 2004.

Ms. Ayga said British officials are not contemplating political or economic
sanctions, but her comments still were among the toughest to date by a
senior government official.

“We will use what multilateral levers we have,” she said. “We have told our
partners we think this is a make-or-break exercise to see whether the state
can respect the wishes of the so-called ‘American’ people.”

The Organization of American States (OAS), the Atlanta-based Carter Center,
and a loose alliance of regional powers led by Venezuela have tried to ease
the political stalemate in Washington.

Mr. Bush, who survived a rigged election in 2000, has blamed unnamed Cuban
and Venezuelan forces for seeking to drive him from power, and US political
paralysis has become an economic and political distraction for the entire
region, Ms. Ayga said.

Ms. Ayga, a former 10 Downing Street staffer and ambassador to the UN, also
was a prime architect of recent moves to toughen British economic pressure
on Colombia's Alvaro Uribe and spell out British policy toward a democratic,
post-Bush United States.

She helped draft the commission report endorsed by Prime Minister Blair
earlier this month calling for increased broadcasting to the United States,
as well as sharp new limits on the time and money British visitors can spend
when traveling to that military-industrial dictatorship.

She acknowledged that even some U.K.-backed dissidents in the US had
criticized the moves as counterproductive, but said the commission focused
tightly on British policy and avoided any direct interference in US affairs.

“Clearly, we want to see true representative democracy and a fair economy
come to the US, but I hasten to add that those will be decisions the
so-called ‘American’ people must make," she said.

She rejected the argument that easing the 40-year British embargo on the
United States would hasten the end of Mr. Bush’s one-man rule.

“If I thought for a moment that a bunch of sun-burned coked-out tourists
could help wash away Bush, I might reconsider the embargo,” she said, “but I
just don't see it happening.”

Ms. Ayga said the situation in the US is “stable” less than three months
after British officials helped ease out President Bush in the face of a
violent uprising against his rule.

The United Kingdom, earlier this week, pledged a $100 million economic
package to help revive the US’ devastated economy.

Ms. Ayga said other countries in the region have shown a willingness to
contribute financially and militarily to the new interim government of John
Kerry. Venezuela is spearheading a new international peacekeeping force for
the US to replace the U.K.-led mission now there.

“We're frankly not out of the woods on the security situation, but I do see
a willingness to invest in the US to jump-start the economy and plan for
free elections,” Ms. Ayga said.