[Peace-discuss] Re: Pro choice works for me...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon May 31 23:26:51 CDT 2004

That is of course the issue, Jenifer. Most (not all) of those who hold
that abortion is generally ethical do so by denying that we're human
before we're born.  But when I look at a newborn child, I can't believe
that the rules about killing a human being, which apply to it now, only
began to apply when it passed through the birth canal.

I do agree that it would be inconsistent to say that those rules don't
apply to those of us who were conceived by rape or incest, wicked as those
things are.  And I also agree on the need for sex education and free,
available birth control.

I don't however think it's helpful to employ religious language in the
discussion.  Abortion -- like war, poverty, racism, capital punishment and
euthanasia -- is an ethical and political issue.

I also think that the actual social consequences of the Supreme Court's
1973 decision (to say nothing of its social sources) have been obscured by
ideological commitment. It is, as you say, a class issue, and Nixon's
Supreme Court (not a particularly liberal bunch) seem to have regarded
abortion as an alternative to the demand for justice by those who were not
"well-born." In those days of great fear of "population explosion," there
was also a racial fear of a burgeoning under-class demanding "welfare,"
which could be reduced by abortion.  We got at the same time the
Malthusian policies promoted around the world by Republican and Democrat
administrations -- and objected to by popular groups, who said that the
American government thought it was "easier to kill a guerrilla in the womb
than in the hills."

Morning-after pills (and related issues, such as the harvesting of stem
cells) raise difficult issues about when rules about ending human life
begin to apply.  Obviously we should err on the side of caution -- just as
we wouldn't drive over something in the road that might be a human being.
But what that means in these matters is difficult.

Regards, Carl