[Peace-discuss] Re: Pro choice works for me...

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Mon May 31 19:47:22 CDT 2004

What "children," Carl? Most of us view them as embryos and foetuses......But if you view them as children, and abortion as murder, then of course you will hope that fewer women choose to terminate their pregnancies.  BTW, how come folks who feel as you do often make an exception for rape and incest? That really frosts me -- like it's okay to terminate those pregnancies, because the results of those acts would produce offspring w/ a double dose of original sin, plus women who get pregnant w/o those excuses must carry to term, and then deal w/ raising an unwanted child -- great for the kid -- or put their baby up for adoption..... serves them right for sinning!  And how come so many pro-lifers are as against sex education and free, available birth control, as they are against abortion?  Exactly whose lives are they "pro?"

The Old Testament is chock full of sacrifices -- and the New Testament has, of course, the final and ultimate one.  If men got pregnant, they'd somehow fit pregnancy termination into that theme, I have no doubt.  Or if women had written the bible.....

On a practical level, women have ALWAYS tried to terminate unwanted pregnancies.  Before it was legal in the US, women of means and connections could find safe, and maybe even legal abortions outside the US, and others could not..... Even now, w/ abortion in the US safe and legal (last time I looked, tho' that'll be history if Bush and the Christian Coalition have their way....) it is still, unfairly, beyond the reach of many.  Think how many women's lives would be SAVED if abortion were not only safe and legal, but affordable and readily available to ALL women, so that no woman had to risk her life to terminate a pregnancy!  It's not only a gender issue, it's a class issue as well.

And isn't it high time the morning-after pill were available OTC?  The excuses for keeping it a prescription drug are ridiculous.... another class distinction, BTW, tho' some make a case for its also being a gender issue, as it is women exclusively who become pregnant but can't be trusted to deal w/ their own birth control issues.....

I don't expect to totally change your mind, Carl, but I do hope that a little change in your thinking, a little shadow of doubt might one day occur.  Kucinich did some soul-searching, listened to many others, and  saw the issue in a different light.

Okay, I'm done. The rest of you folks can take it from here!  (Or not..)

Jenifer C.
The logical maxim applies: "What is gratuitously asserted may be gratuitously denied"...

What sort of society is it that says to people, "No, we won't provide an education, a job, housing, medical care or a reliable income -- but we will allow you to end your children's lives without penalty, so long as you do it in a timely fashion"?

It's a society in which everything, including human life, is a commodity -- you can have as much of it as you can afford.  It's a society in which the Clintons and Bushes can end Iraqi lives with impunity, and say a similar thing to soldiers, with (now) Iraqis substituted for children.

Peace-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com