[Peace-discuss] Eminem - Protest Music

Drew Tarico tarico at puresimplicity.net
Mon Nov 1 12:06:54 CST 2004

And as long as we're on the subject, here's an old favorite rehashed by
one of the bigger bands in the alt-rock genre (a perfect circle).

http://boss.streamos.com/real/virg001/a_perfect_circle/video/emotive/imagine_w_interview_hi.ram

The song is packaged on a compilation of protest songs of yore.  I doubt
most of the kids that dig this band have heard of many of the oldies.
--
With “eMOTIVe,” A Perfect Circle restore rock ‘n’ roll to its
revolutionary roots by throwing a 12-megaton musical bomb in the face of
the ruling class. Described by APC’s Maynard James Keenan as “a collection
of songs about war, peace, love and greed,” the astonishing set blends
all-new original material with a provocative selection of cover versions.
The tracks chosen bridge three decades of protest songs, spanning an array
of genres – hardcore punk and heavy metal, new wave and Delta blues, folk
rock and rhythm & blues. Among the insurgent classics reinterpreted on
“eMOTIVe” are John Lennon’s “Imagine,” Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On,”
Memphis Minnie’s blues stomper, “When The Levee Breaks” (made famous by
Led Zeppelin), Depeche Mode’s “People Are People,” Devo’s “Freedom Of
Choice,” Black Flag’s “Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie,” Fear’s “Let’s Have A War,”
Joni Mitchell’s “Fiddle And The Drum,” and the Nick Lowe (by way of Elvis
Costello) anti-anthem, “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And
Understanding.” The album kicks off with an explosive take on
“Annihilation,” originally recorded by Berkeley aggro-punk legends,
Crucifix.
--
drew
tarico at puresimplicity.net