[Peace-discuss] Write-in voting question

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 12:35:24 CST 2004

Today's Daily Illini made the passing comment that if you wish to write in a
candidate for President, you also have to write in the name of the candidate
for Vice President.  The implication is that write-ins with the president's
name only might not be counted.  The Voter's Guide published by the
Champaign Country Clerk's office is not clear on this at all.  It simply
states:

"You may cast a write-in vote for a candidate whose name is not on the
ballot. A write-in is executed on the upper long stub of a fold-over ballot.
(illustration 2) You must write the name of the office and under it, draw a
box and a line to the right. Write the name of your candidate on the line
and place an "X" in the box being certain the lines of the "X" intersect
within the box. A write-in form is provided on the ballot card envelope in
the case of regular (short stub) punch cards. (illustration 3) A write-in
vote will not be counted for any candidate who has failed to file an Intent
to be a Write-in Candidate as prescribed by law."

Someone please clarify this for us write-in voters.

In general, the voting system in Champaign Country leaves much to be desire.
  I've always wondered after I walked out  of the polling place whether my
vote was counted.  There is no way to know.  I would feel more reassured if
the machine, even the mechanical punchcard machines, printed a receipt
showing that the vote was registered by the machine.  As it is, I don't
think they begin to count the votes until after the polls have closed.
Someone could clarify this as well.

--Phil