[Peace-discuss] Post-voting reflections.

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 13:51:32 CST 2004

I didn't have the answer to the question I posed below when I went to vote
this morning, so I ended up writing in only Ralph Nader's name since I
couldn't remember that Camejo's first name was Peter.  After the votes are
counted, I'll check to see if any votes for Nader were tallied in my
precinct.  I consider this an experiment in democracy.  At least I didn't
vote for anyone I wouldn't be comfortable with winning.

Later this morning, I found the following article in the Pittsburgh
Tribune-Review on casting a write-in vote for Nader in Pennsylvania.  In
Pennsylvania, you not only have to write in Peter Camejo's name, but also
the name of 21 electors.  Is it more difficult to cast a write-in vote for
Nader in Illinois than in Pennsylvania?  Who knows?  Mark Shelden doesn't
tell us in his little voter guide.  Have a happy election day.

--Phil

Nader voters must be determined

By Matthew Junker
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 15, 2004

Pennsylvania voters still interested in voting for Ralph Nader even though
his name has been removed from the ballot must take a sharp pencil and an
even sharper memory to the polls Nov. 2.

According to Secretary of the Commonwealth Pedro A. Cortes and local
election officials, a proper write-in vote for Nader must include not only
Nader's name and that of his running mate, Peter Camejo, but all 21 electors
as well.

And in three area counties -- Allegheny, Westmoreland and Fayette -- the
space provided for the potentially hand-cramping task of writing in 23 names
is 2 1/2 inches high by 2 inches wide.

"That's enough space. You could write 10 down one side and 13 down the
other," said Paula T. Pedicone, director of the Westmoreland County Election
Bureau.