[Peace-discuss] More qs on election results

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 5 14:03:22 CST 2004

[I think Doug Henwood, of the excellent Left Business Observer, has got it
right, below.  Either that, or the Republican conspiracy was large enough
to steal 2 million votes.  I don't think they did.  More important than
their possible election-day frauds were there various forms of voter
intimidation and limitation, which exposed how much the Republican party
of this generation has become the party of Jim Crow.  --CGE]

So say Kerry won Ohio - he still would have lost the pop vote by 3m+.
When Bush lost the pop vote by 500k and won the electoral vote, we
denounced that as an antidemocratic abomination, which it was. But while
500k is virtual tie, a 3m pop vote lead is serious. Would we want to call
a Kerry electoral college victory under those circs legitimate?

The fraud & intimidation should be investigated and denounced. But saying
"Kerry won" is delusional and hypocritical.