[Peace-discuss] Pro-choice [was Re: letter to my former comrades]

Ken Urban kurban at parkland.edu
Mon Nov 15 14:35:29 CST 2004

We need to consider the elements of choice and personal responsibility
in this debate.  I think it's quite inappropriate for government to
force abortions.  Additionally, it's wrong for the government to forbid
abortions.

Pro-abortion and Pro-life is a false dichotomy. The better solution,
Pro-choice,  where people make their own INFORMED and PERSONAL choices
and live with the consequences, to do otherwise is to demean us as
humans and argues the virtues of a totalitarian state.

Ken

PS I can see where the Green/Libertarian views have some overlap here.

Ken Urban
Assoc. Prof., Computer Science
Parkland College

Office: B129A
           (217)-353-2246

>>> Joe Futrelle <futrelle at shout.net> 11/12/2004 11:35:30 AM >>>
The consistent life position omits possibly the most important threat
to life, which is environmental resource depletion (unless that's
what they mean by "poverty"). Another reason I think the Greens are
on the right track.

At 10:16 PM -0600 11/11/04, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>Bill is of course correct, and that is the position taken for some
time by
>various groups under the general name "consistent life."  Their
original
>statement read as follows:
>
>"We are committed to the protection of life, which is threatened in
>today's world by war, the arms race, abortion, poverty, racism,
capital
>punishment, and euthanasia. We believe that these issues are linked
under
>a 'consistent ethic of life.' We challenge those working on all or
some of
>these issues to maintain a co-operative spirit of peace,
reconciliation,
>and respect in protecting the unprotected."
>
>In anarchist solidarity, Carl
>

>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, bill wrote:
>

>>  ...Perhaps progressive evangelicals should speak up in their own
>>  churches and try to shape the congregations' political agenda.  If
>>  someone is pro-life, it should follow that they're anti-war,
>>  anti-death penalty, anti-nuclear weapons, pro-universal health
care,
>>  and pro-environment.
>>
>>  Bill Gorrell Producer, Co-host, & Commentator "The Illinois Labor
>>  Hour," broadcast Saturdays 11am - noon on WEFT 90.1 FM Champaign,
IL
>>  Member, LIUNA Local 703

Joe Futrelle
Person