[Peace-discuss] Re: [UCprogressives] Re: Pro-choice [wasRe: letter to my former comrades]

Carl Estabrook cge at shout.net
Tue Nov 16 18:35:54 CST 2004

You may well be right, Jen, that I have no understanding of how it feels
to be a woman -- despite wife, daughters, female relatives, students, and
close friends.  The same may be true of being black, despite similar
evidence.  But I think a certain solipsism is involved in the identity
politics' position that one cannot speak unless one is appropriately
female, black, a soldier -- or rich or poor.  And I reject that.

I contend that one of the best ways of being respectful of others is to
take their opinions seriously enough to disagree with them when you think
they're wrong.  Not to do so is patronizing.

Regards, Carl