[Peace-discuss] Re: [UCprogressives] Re: Pro-choice [wasRe: letter to my

ppatton at uiuc.edu ppatton at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 16 21:26:51 CST 2004

>Carl--

>You obviously have no understanding of how it feels to be a
>woman and have
>some like you trying to force their opinion on others. It's
>one thing to
>voice your opinion while being respectful of others and
>allowing others to
>have an opinion. It's another, like how you've been doing,
>to attack every
>person who differs from you on this issue.

>The continuation of this argument over abortion in the
>manner that it has
>been raised and will continue to be raised TRULY alienates
>others who may
>agree with AWARE's mission of anti-war and anti-racism
>effort. And it will
>hinder individuals and organizations from working with AWARE
>in the future.
>I know I personally am less inclined to be involved after
>reading all the
>hostile attacks against those who support a women's right to
>choose.

>All this energy could be put to doing good work in our
>community and NOT
>into attacking those with differing views on birth control
>and abortion.
>It's a shame to see this energy being wasted.

>Sincerely,
>Jen Tayabji
>IDF Executive Director

Jen-
Although I am also pro-choice, I disagree with your criticism
of Carl.  His comments have been thought-provoking and
challenging and have triggered a quite interesting and
entirely polite debate.  I hope the peace list will always
value free and intellectually challenging debate over
personal comfort.
-Paul Patton
Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-344-5812
homepage: http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ppatton/www/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein