[Peace-discuss] mckinley and the cia

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Wed Nov 17 11:39:40 CST 2004

Yeah, the whole thing seems too jazzed up.  Why not just treat it as a job fairand reserve space @ the Illini Union?  I can see where the Feds would like to bask in the humanist aura of Mckinley... And maybe McKinley looks it as an alternative to never-ending war against states.

Jenifer C
Although I'm not a big fan of 'progressive' groups fighting  with each other--and at the risk of starting
another 'theological' discussion--I can't help but remark:

I'm not terribly suprised to see CIA recruiting efforts on  our campus, and it doesn't bother me so much. However, I am  very suprised to see such an event hosted at McKinley, which  has always been very fond of tooting its own horn as the most  progressive liberal protestant church in town.

In the past, McKinley has been known to reject on the grounds  of ideological difference space-use requests from (relatively  moderate) evangelical campus groups looking for places to  hold Bible studies.

Does it than follow that McKinley is more ideologically
aligned with the CIA than with, say, Intervarsity Christian  Fellowship? If so, perhaps I should stop calling myself a  liberal Protestant ;-)

Peter

Peace-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com