[Peace-discuss] Fwd:[Mediamatters] Weekly Update

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Wed Nov 24 01:11:50 CST 2004

Welcome to another edition of the WILL-AM Media Matters email  update!

THIS WEEK'S GUEST

-------------------------------

This week's guest on Media Matters is Stephen Hartnett.  Stephen is Associate Professor of Speech Communication at  the University of Illinois, where he is a Research Fellow of  the Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities, and an  Advisor to the Center for Democracy in a Multiracial
Society.  He is the author of "Incarceration Nation:
Investigative Prison Poems of Hope and Terror," and the award- winning "Democratic Dissent & The Cultural Fictions of
Antebellum America." He also co-authored with the late Robert  James Branham the book "Sweet Freedom’s Song: 'My  Country ‘Tis of Thee' and Democracy in America." Currently,  he is writing a book with Laura Stengrim
titled "Globalization & Empire: Free Markets, The U.S.
Invasion of Iraq, and The Twilight of Democracy."

Relevant links:
http://cepr.org/
http://www.warprofiteers.com/
http://www.hrw.org/

UPCOMING GUESTS

--------------

In the following weeks we will feature Paul Krugman and  others.

If you have a suggestion for a guest you'd like to see on  the show,let us know: email producer Victor Pickard at
vpickard at uiuc.edu

LAST WEEK'S GUEST

-----------------------------

Last week's guest on Media Matters was Janine Jackson. Janine  Jackson is FAIR's program director and a frequent contributor  to FAIR's magazine, Extra!. She co-edited "The FAIR Reader:  An Extra! Review of Press and Politics in the '90s" (Westview  Press). She also co-hosts and produces FAIR's syndicated  radio show, CounterSpin, a weekly program of media criticism  airing on more than 130 stations around the country.
http://www.fair.org/

ALL OF OUR PAST SHOWS ARE AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE:

http://www.will.uiuc.edu/am/mediamatters/

NUTS and BOLTS

--------------

vpickard at uiuc.edu

We hope you find the Media Matters Weekly Update to be  useful and informative, and we hope you'll encourage
everyone you know with an interest in the media to listen to  the show and subscribe to the list. If you have any
questions or suggestions on how to improve what we do with  this list, please email producer Victor Pickard at
vpickard at uiuc.edu

Thanks again for listening!

Victor Pickard
Media Matters, Producer