[Peace-discuss] Deep politics, conspiracy theories, JFK murder

ndahlhei at uiuc.edu ndahlhei at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 29 16:02:07 CST 2004

To quote from Peter Dale Scott, political researcher and
activist and former Canadian diplomat on the nature of
understanding the JFK assassination in terms of Deep
Politics,

Page 15, "Deep Politics and the Death of JFK"

"It is certainly true, as the establishment press reiterates
from time to time, that many people are psychologically
disposed to conspiratorial explanations for events like
political murder.  Many leftists
(Page 16) repeat this cliche, adding that conspiratorial
explanations allow people to externalize evil (ie a small
group of old men in the Joint Chiefs, CIA, and military-
industrial complex killing the handsome young President) and
seperate it from the political system under which they live.
Such psychological explanations can be put forward in an open-
minded and truth-seeking spirit, but only if their proponents
concede that the opposite is also true.  That is, many
people, particularly those whose productive careers have
prospered under the status quo, are equally disposed on
psychological grounds to reject conspiratorial explanations
for events that affect the legitimacy of the society they
live in.  For some years, whenever I (Peter Dale Scott) have
been treated to a short sermon about the paranoid style in
American politics, I have asked the preacher if he/she did
not recognize the psychological grounds for his anti-
conspiratorial positiion as well.  Few do.
     And yet the evidence is there: not just with respect to
the central event of the assassination itself, but with much
smaller, ancillary matters, such as the repression and denial
of the Vietnam policy change which occurred in the same time
period of the assassination.  What is at stake here is a
competition between paradigms in how politics works.  One is
the establishment paradigm, codified in textbooks and taught
in universities as "political science," whether pluralist or
Marxist: this sees politics as a system of overtly identified
interactive forces, and offers an inclusive chart of
political behavior in which, for example, there is little or
no room for assassinations.  (Aside: I read Chomsky's columns
on ZNet often and I don't think even he deviates too much
from what Scott considers the establishment paradigm.  More
on that maybe in a later posting).

ALTERNATIVES TO THE ESTABLISHMENT MODEL OF GOVERNMENT

     At present there is more than one alternative ro this
establishment model.  What I propose as a competing paradigm,
that of deep politics, is certainly not the most commonly
encountered alternative.  Many more people, convinced that
overt politics is not the true arena of power, postulate a
kind of Satanic reflection of it.  Thus they talk reactively
of some unified "shadow government," "invisible government,"
or "secret team."
      Unified "shadow" models are, in my experience, usually
based less on research than on reactions to the resistance
and denial which have been observed with regard to sensitive
topics, such as the political assassinations in this country,
or the CIA, or elite institutions such as the Council on
Foreign Relations, or the drug traffic.  The moment one
(Page 17)
begins to gather extensive data on any one aspect of deep
politics, such as organized crime, it is only too easy to
pass from one extreme reception of it, the systematic
underacknowledgment of its power, to its opposite, and to
conclude that one has found the key to all political
mysteries.  Actually, shadow-government theories, by their
very totalizing, do not seriously challenge the most
sensitive feature of the conventional establishment power
paradigm.  This is the belief that overt politics and deep
politics have little to do with each other, a belief in which
the establishment media, hyperstructuralist Marxists, and
even shadow-government conspiratorialists, all paradoxically
concur.
     The deep-politics paradigm, in contrast, attempts to go
beyond all such restricted, unified explanations.  It is
essentially an extension of conventional political
investigative methods to consideration of a much larger field
of evidence, including, but not restricted to, the
unacknowledged processes and events which conventional
decorum excludes from our current "political science"
textbooks.  By thus examining overt events in this larger
field of deep political arrangements, it breaks down the
distinction between overt and covert power, and thereby
hopefully avoids the frequently asked question: Which forces
are in control, the public or shadow powers?
     It also responds to those who object that no conspiracy
to kill the President could have remained a secret for so
long in a society as open as America"s.  We shall see in this
book that beneath the open surface of our society lie
connections and relationships of long standing, virtually
immune to disclosure, and capable of great crimes, including
serial murder.  To the stock objection that it would be
virtually impossible to assemble a murder conspiracy without
leakage, the response is that an existing conspiratorial
network or system of networks already in place and capable of
murderm, would have much less difficulty in maintaining the
discipline of secrecy.
     I shall focus on the intelligence-sanctioned
international narcotics network as a candidate for such
a "conspiracy," because of the involvement, directly or
indirectly, of so many relevant players.  The drug traffic,
when we look at it more closely, will be seen to consist of
overlapping networks, relating official to private power
through collusion and corruption.
     We shall see that a key reason to suspect drug
involvement in the assassination is the sustained effort of
administration and congressional
(Page 18)
officials in 1964 (Warren Commission) and again in 1978
(House Select Committee on Assassinations which blamed JFK's
assassination to a mafia conspiracy), to conceal the extent
of Jack Ruby's involvement with both drug traffickers and law
enforcement.  I have not assumed, and certainly cannot prove,
that this network arranged the assassination.  I suspect,
however, that the need to keep this particular secret helped
explain the cover-up, particularly with respect to Ruby, even
if the other principals were only indirectly related to it.
     This book analyzes diverse forms of deep politics and
parapolitics, acknowledging the historical relevance of
splits within bureaucracies, within economic systems, and
within the clumsily named phenomenon of organized crime.  In
other words, the model for deep politics put forward in these
pages, although aiming at a more integrative view of politics
than the conventional model, is also roughly pluralistic both
above, in the public arena, and also below.  Above all, the
fact than an area of political activity (such as CIA covert
operations)is unacknowledged, or even actively suppressed,
shjould not lead us, reactively, to exaggerate its
importance.  That these pages focus on areas of facts usually
unacknowledged or denied does not mean that I believe them to
be the determinant areas or facts of our political life; only
that fuller understanding of our politics, toward the goal of
public control of political life, requires a fuller
understanding of these areas as of others.
    The common method in these chapters is to look at areas
where there is such resistance and denial.  The findings I
rech in them are still too scattered and incomplete to be
labeled a competing paradigm.  What I put forward here is not
a new system, but only a new method.  And if I apply it to
the Kennedy assassination, the goal is not so much to solve
that beleagured case as to better understand the society that
engendered it.