[Peace-discuss] What do we do now?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 6 12:31:13 CDT 2004

[The following is the text of a radio commentary by Rahul Mahajan, whose
blog Empire Notes is quite good.  He seems to me here to make suggestions
of the sort of thing AWARE should be doing this fall and winter. --CGE]

	Collapse of the Antiwar Movement

The occupation is a disaster and nobody outside of the extreme right wing
is able to support it. The United States has repeatedly attacked entire
towns because of the supposed presence of a handful of wanted people
(taking Israeli methods of collective punishment and expanding them
dramatically) and committed a serious of shockingly sadistic abuses on
innocent Iraqis in their custody. When, in late April, Bush was forced to
defend his "Mission Accomplished" stunt of the year before, he said,
"Well, at least there's no torture chambers, rape rooms, and mass graves
in Iraq."

Except, of course, for the torture chambers, rape rooms, and mass graves.

Across the political spectrum, people know that we were right and they
were wrong. Yet there has hardly been a peep out of the antiwar movement.
There RNC protest was great, but it was basically an anti-Bush protest --
there wasn't even any messaging about the just-concluded offensive against
Najaf in which probably 2000 or more people were killed.

There are many reasons for this collapse of the antiwar movement, but I'll
focus on two.

First, the drive to get Kerry elected.

If this happens, it will be largely due to the efforts of a wide variety
of progressive nonprofits and activist groups to do voter-registration and
get out the vote efforts in the handful of "swing states" remaining in the
country. Pro-Democratic operatives in key states like Pennsylvania and
Florida are claiming a 2, 3, or more to 1 advantage over Republicans in
registering new voters.

Massive amounts of resources have been devoted to this; for example, the
Service Employees International Union is spending $65 million on such
efforts.

Much of the core membership of United for Peace and Justice are doing the
same thing, although at a vastly smaller scale.

Work like this is laudable and enables antiwar groups to build links with
labor, communities of color, and others.

But this is not antiwar work. And if any progressives, up to and including
the leadership of SEIU, think that Kerry will reward them if elected, they
are living in the same fantasy world as George Bush. He will credit the
militarism of the Democratic National Convention and his promise to go and
personally kill every terrorist or would-be terrorist in the world. And,
of course, his corporate and military backers.

A second reason is that, with regard to protest actions, we have dumbed
down our message to the ultimate demand "Bring the troops home now!"

I have no problem with calling to end the occupation now. But we have to
realize that even people who don't support the war don't look to us as
some kind of spiritual authority. Nobody cares about our demands. People
will listen to our arguments, information, and plans, but no longer to our
ultimate demand.

We need responses to immediate political developments and transitional
positions and campaigns. Otherwise, we appear out of touch; even now, as
they've raided Samarra and started bombing Sadr City regularly, we have no
response.

Some groups have tried to imply that transitional demands imply dilution
of the anti-imperialist agenda. This is as silly as saying that demands
for living wage legislation imply dilution of an anti-capitalist agenda.

Everything that happens in Iraq should build our base. We must mobilize
against bombing of civilian areas and build our base. We must mobilize
against torture and build our base. Right now, we must mobilize against
Bush administration plans to manipulate the January elections in Iraq (and
the upcoming election in Afghanistan). Any election held under military
occupation is illegitimate. But we can't stop the elections in Iraq. Thus,
we have to mobilize to ensure that the elections, while remaining
illegitimate, are as free and fair as possible. In the process, we bring
into the movement people who believe in democracy but were unsure about
the occupation; we may even derail plans to fix the elections.

The occupation of Iraq will be a long struggle. The election will be over
in a month, but the occupation is with us for years to come. We can't
affect it unless we build steadily over time. Mere repetition of "Bring
the troops home now" won't do it.

[Rahul Mahajan is publisher of Empire Notes. His latest book, "Full
Spectrum Dominance: U.S. Power in Iraq and Beyond," covers U.S. policy on
Iraq, deceptions about weapons of mass destruction, the plans of the
neoconservatives, and the face of the new Bush imperial policies. He can
be reached at rahul at empirenotes.org.]