[Peace-discuss] AWARE minutes Oct. 3, 2004

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 6 12:45:10 CDT 2004

Minutes for the Sunday October 3, 2004 AWARE meeting,
Carol Inskeep facilitating

Introductions (30 in attendance).

Presentation by Joe Miller of Vietnam Veterans against the
war (www.vvaw.org) on VVAW and Iraq Veterans against the War
(www.ivaw.net) activities. He noted that "No child left behind"
requires sending names and addresses of graduating high school
students to selective service, but that parents can ask for
exclusions. He also noted that the "potential for serious
problems developing in the military are pretty high" regarding
morale, and that cracks in the anti-war blackout are developing
due to veteran-veteran communications.

News of the week, Carl.

Current projects:

Veterans speak out, Carol I. Saturday Nov 13, 1-4, Mckinley. Still
   no confirmation from Rob Sarra of Iraq Veterans Against the War.
Unity March, Carol A. Need to arrange time for organization meeting
   at IMC. Patrick charges still pending.
Registration drive, Carol A. Sheldon refusing to accept "old"
   voter registration forms.
Postcards for Peace, Carol I. Planned for Nov 14, Cowboy Monkey, 2-4.
Tabling, Durl. Cold and windy.
UPTV, Randall. Jury still out regarding the commission being able
   to work with the mayor. N.G. claims VEYA documentary to be shown.
Get out the vote, Randall. Discussed distribution ideas for the
   flyers.
P4P, Ricky. About 35 people last Saturday. Thinks it would be a
   mistake to stop P4P if Kerry wins.
Finances, Linda. $2246.56 in bank.

New ideas/subjects & events of the past week:

Durl: invite other progressive groups to speak?
Carol I.: AWARE at Quaker Peace Bazaar, Dec4 9-3?
Carol I. says that Sheldon's office told library to continue using
   the "old" voter registration forms. But she doesn't know if
   these forms are in fact being accepted. "Old" forms passed out
   at Farmer's Market have been refused by Sheldon.
Carol I. did an AWARE presentation to the Green St. Unitarians.

Upcoming Events in October:

Tues 5th, 7:30, meeting at IDF regarding a Police Review Board.
Sun 10th
   Noon, Channing-Murray, Solidarity Work in Guatemala, Meridith Kruse.
   3 pm CU Progressives potluck, Sunday Oct 10, 3 pm, Crystal Lake Boathouse.
Tues 19th, 7 pm, Ray Parrish, "Leave No Vet Behind", IDF.
Sat 23rd, 9 am, Unity March starting at Scott and Douglass Parks.
Sat 30th & following Sat, P4P, 2-4 pm.