[Peace-discuss] Fwd:Two women you need to know

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Wed Oct 6 15:06:13 CDT 2004

Dear Jenifer,

America elects fewer women to Congress than the average country in  sub-Saharan Africa.

It's not just countries like Sweden, New Zealand, and Argentina that  elect twice the percentage of women. Among the 60-plus nations that  elect a higher proportion of women than we do: Mozambique, Namibia and  Botswana.

We have to support women running for office -- both incumbents and the  leaders of tomorrow. Two women in particular have built grassroots  campaigns that deserve your attention.

The first: Nancy Farmer, the challenger in the race for U.S. Senate in  Missouri. She leads a common sense movement against an incumbent whose  time has passed. Her opponent, Senator Kit Bond, is a relic -- he  followed Jesse Helms in voting against the Martin Luther King, Jr.  holiday. And he just voted against a minimum-wage increase while  managing to hike his own salary to $158,000 a year.

Helms is long since retired -- and with your help Bond will be, too.  Missouri elected Nancy Farmer as State Treasurer -- as Senator she will  bring fiscal responsibility back to Washington. She has the right  experience to solve real problems. Nancy Farmer is a rising star in a  new generation of women leaders. She needs -- and deserves -- your help:

http://www.nancyfarmerforussenate.com/contribute.php

The other woman who has earned our support: Barbara Boxer. Senator Boxer  fights the battles too many Democrats hide from. She helped give  millions of low-income children access to quality health care. And she  introduced a bill to give all Americans access to the same health care  plan as Members of Congress.

In the words of the late Paul Wellstone, she is a fighter from the  Democratic wing of the Democratic Party. The values he fought for still  live on with Barbara Boxer in the U.S. Senate. We need to keep her  there. Please support Barbara Boxer now:

https://www.boxer2004.org/dfa/

Two weeks ago Democracy for America challenged all the Democratic Senate  campaigns to demonstrate grassroots support. In response they rallied  tens of thousands of their supporters. These two extraordinary women  came out ahead of all the rest.

These candidates deserve to win because they will make better Senators  than their opponents. But double standards and glass ceilings still  exist in America. We have a long way to go -- but with your help,  electing these two women will bring us closer to true equality.

Thank you.

Governor Howard Dean, M.D.

P.S. Want to help get out the vote for other great candidates in your  area? Get to your final local DFA Meetup before the election this  Wednesday at 7 PM: http://dfa.meetup.com

---